Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) Overview
The University of La Verne Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) is a separate academic major within the Movement and Sports Science (MSS) Department. The La Verne ATEP was awarded initial Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) Accredited status in October, 2003.
The Mission of the University of La Verne Athletic Training Program (ATEP) is to challenge and prepare students to successfully enter the profession of Athletic Training. In pursuit of this mission, the ATEP faculty and staff will provide a rich, stimulating, challenging, yet nurturing, environment in which the students can integrate didactic and clinical studies.
Graduates of the Athletic Training Program will be:
- Knowledgeable in the intellectual skills required in the discipline
- Competent in the following psychomotor skills of the twelve content areas comprising the professional practice of athletic training:
- Risk management and injury prevention
- Pathology of injuries and illnesses
- Orthopedic clinical examination and diagnosis
- Medical conditions and disabilities
- Acute care of injuries and illnesses
- Therapeutic modalities
- Conditioning and rehabilitative exercises
- Psychosocial intervention and referral
- Nutritional aspects of injuries and illnesses
- Healthcare administration
- Professional development and responsibility
- Able to successfully select and proficiently apply the appropriate athletic training skills when working with physically active populations
- Prepared to pass the Board of Certification (BOC) examination
CAATE and BOC Examination
Effective July 1, 2006, jurisdiction for accreditation of all Athletic Training Education Programs was transferred to the Commissio
n on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). CAATE Accreditation signifies that the La Verne ATEP meets the highest of educational standards and prepares and qualifies graduates of the program to sit for the BOC (Board of Certification) Examination.
ATC - Athletic Trainer, Certified
Graduates who pass the BOC exam are granted the professional acronym ATC - Athletic Trainer, Certified - eligible to practice the profession of athletic training. Prospective athletic training students should note that eligibility for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination is dependent upon having graduated from a CAATE-accredited program. Prospective athletic training students should contact Marilyn Oliver, ATEP Program Director at (909) 593-3511 x4270 or firstname.lastname@example.org for the most current information on the ATEP, including admissions standards.