The research program in the Chemistry Department is quite active. The faculty believes that hands-on research is an integral part of a student's education. Most work is done as part of the Senior Project, a culminating requirement for all Chemistry majors. Current research topics are listed below.
Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Technology
- PEM Fuel Cell
- Reforming novel catalyst integration and system automation
- Stereoselective reactions using zeolite as nanoreactor
Chemistry of Natural Products:
- Peganum harmalla
- Eriodictyon californicum
- Cotonester sp.
- Heavy metal content in Puddingstone Reservoir sediment
- Lead content of local contaminated soils
- Identification of byproducts formed during ozonation of natural waters
- Photocatalysis and degredation of organic contaminants
Twisted Intramolecular Charge Transfer Excited States:
- Boronamines and pyrimidine derivatives
- Deposition of various metals on various surfaces
- Study of vapor deposed metals using scanning tunneling microscopy
- Chemistry of organoholmium compounds
Cation Radical Chemistry
Dynamic NMR .