As the University of La Verne’s chief academic officer, the Provost is responsible for achieving the highest standards of academic excellence, ensuring outstanding teaching and promoting scholarly and creative activities. The Deans of the four Colleges and the Dean of the Regional and Online Campuses work closely with the Provost to achieve these goals. The Provost also oversees the Academic Affairs Division, which works to insure academic quality through sponsored research, academic assessment, faculty development, student life services, academic support services, library services, spiritual life, and athletics.
The Provost’s administrative responsibilities include:
- Monitoring and assessing the implementation of the University vision, mission, values, and strategic plan.
- Preparing the annual budget for Academic Affairs, and assuring that budgeting and financial planning is based on academic ideals, priorities and goals.
- Promoting academic excellence in graduate, undergraduate and non-traditional programs through outstanding teaching and curricula.
- Encouraging, fostering the environment for, and supporting academic scholarship and research as intellectual activity valuable in itself and necessary for faculty development for teaching excellence.
- Promoting the integration of academic scholarship and research with teaching and learning, both inside the classroom and in community service.
- Promoting shared governance, collegiality, community, fairness and respect among administration, faculty, staff and students.
The Provost is supported in these functions by the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs, Dr. Beatriz Gonzalez; the Special Assistant to the Provost, Dr. Mark Goor; and the Executive Assistant to the Provost, Gale Longobardo.