You are here: Home // Columns // Clean space, clean mind

Clean space, clean mind

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

Organization is something we all want in our lives, but have a hard time figuring out how to obtain it. Many know how organization can ease a person’s hectic life, but they still tend to avoid obtaining it. I had a mission this past summer to get organized, so that I could start the new school year smoothly.

I wanted to begin with my closet. It’s not that my closet was super unorganized, but it was not quite neat either.

After I started college, I became very busy and I had little time to neatly maintain things. I should have kept things organized and put everything in its place, but I did not. Each day things started accumulating and accumulating. And it is something I regret doing. Avoiding it every day only made it worse.

My unorganized closet caused me to spend so much time looking for what to wear or to find something important because nothing was put in its place. I realized I could be using that extra time for more productive things.

The first few weeks of summer I was stressing and promised myself each day I would start to organize it. Many may say this is something dumb to stress over, but if you are like me who stresses over the littlest things, then maybe it is not so dumb.

Sometimes I wished I would wake up and my closet would be magically organized, but that was not the case.

One day, as I was flipping through the channels, I came across a television show on HGTV called “Mission: Organization.” I witnessed real people on this show who were facing the same problem I was facing. After finishing the program, seeing the transformation person’s space went through and how relieved they looked after it was all organized, I began to feel motivated to do the same to my space; of course without the help of an organization professional.

I took the tips I saw on the television show and did some of my own research online, and began to get busy with organizing my own space. I started to create a vision in my head of how I wanted my closet to look.

I learned a good way to start is by putting things into categories. I brought three big trash bags, and labeled each one of them – one for trash, one for off season wear and one for donations. Creating this system really helped me get through the entire process. After going through everything, I realized there was a lot that I did not use or need.

I had collected every paper from every class I had taken these past two years in college plus some papers from my high school classes. I tossed out many unimportant papers, creating more space to walk into my closet to see what I had.

After going through all the paper work, I decided to put back my clothes into the closet first by coordinating each item into shirts, tank tops, pants, jacket and so forth, then from there color coordinating each item.

Boy, this certainly made my life much easier. It now only takes me a few minutes to find an outfit.

After I put all my purses on a hanging rack made it much easier to see what I have. Using a shoe cubby I had bought a while ago but never used, I put each pair in its place allowing. Everything has its place.

What many do not realize is that by having an organized closet, it allows you see what you own, which prevents you from buying things you may already have in turn saving you a lot of money.

I hope all who are struggling to find organization in their life – if it’s your closet, your home or work office or your entire house, find it because it makes a big difference in your life and your life can be a lot less stressful when you are trying to find something important.

Natalie Veissalov, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at natalie.veissalov@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.

Tags: ,