You are here: Home // LV Life // Farmers market has authentic music and food

Farmers market has authentic music and food

Michael Fleming of Pomona and Saul Jimenez of Saul’s Family Produce in Claremont met at the Pomona Farmers Market on Sept. 16. The Farmers Market features popcorn and smoothie stands, as well as a live band playing Latin dance music. The market runs from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. every Wednesday at Garey Avenue and Second Street in Pomona. / photo by Stephanie Arellanes

Julissa Cardenas
Web Editor

Families gathered to enjoy abundant food, festive music and street vendors Sept. 16 at the weekly Pomona Farmers Market.

The market is held every Wednesday of the year from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

There are stands with fresh produce, flowers, food, cosmetics, and even hand drawn paintings for sale.

Mari Hernandez, a local beauty products vendor, never misses a Wednesday.

“I love that the market is in the afternoon because it gives me time to prepare myself, I sell perfumes, and make up so I need all the time I can get,” Hernandez said. “I also enjoy sitting here and watching the families have a good time dancing and eating.”

Vendors and customers enjoyed the local band, which played Spanish banda dance music.
“Banda always makes people want to get up and dance,” Hernandez said.

All seemed to enjoy the upbeat atmosphere.

“I always like to come here and get fresh fruit and enjoy the festivities,” said Gerardo Gutierrez, a Pomona local. “I try and come here every Wednesday because I can’t get enough of the food.”

A popular stand serves Mexican food: beans, rice, tortillas, and their specialty salsa.

“This food is a must if you are coming here,” said Alejandra Valadez, a regular at the market. “The food is good when you know people travel a long way just to come and eat a plate.

“I live in San Dimas, and even though it is not that far, I like to think I’m traveling far to get a special cuisine,” Valdez said.

Although the market runs all year round, some regulars have a few changes in mind.

Susana Gonzalez, a Pomona resident, would like to see it stay open later than 8 p.m.

“(It’s) too early especially when people get out of work late, like myself, but if you can make it, it is definitely worth it.”

The Pomona Farmers Market is at Garey Avenue and Second Street, across the street from the Fox Theater.

Julissa Cardenas can be reached at julissa.cardenas@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.