You are here: Home // News // La Verne ranked 18th in state by Forbes

La Verne ranked 18th in state by Forbes

The magazine’s annual poll also puts ULV at 206th nationwide.

Natalie Veissalov
Editor in Chief

The University of La Verne was recognized for its academic excellence, ranking 18th among California colleges and 206th among the entire nation, according to the standards put forth by Forbes Magazine.

In its annual issue called “America’s Best Colleges 2009,” Forbes ranked about 600 colleges in the United States leaving 3,400 colleges out of the list.

“I think it is a real tribute to La Verne and particularly to our faculty and the wonderful job they do,” President Stephen Morgan said.

“I think it [Forbes ranking] reflects well on us,” said Interim Dean of Arts and Sciences Jonathan Reed.

“I think Forbes’ ranking focuses on what we do best, which is student learning centered.”

Forbes ranking was based on certain criteria that included student contentment with how faculty are teaching the courses, the probability of four-year graduation, successfulness of finding a job after graduating and projected standard of student loan debt.

The University ranked ahead of Loyola Marymount University and the University of Southern California.

Reed said there is a difference between ULV and other universities like USC and LMU.

“I think the key distinction is faculty that cares about their students and students that feel they can approach faculty outside,” Reed said.

Students have a high approval rating of the University’s ability to maintain classrooms small and added attention, and also high availability of faculty members, Morgan said.

“I came to La Verne because I work better in a small class setting. If I had attended another institution, I feel like I would have been lost,” said junior music major Nicee Gonzalez.

“Sometimes I feel like people have no idea that the University of La Verne exists, so it is nice to be recognized by such a distinguished magazine.”

“I’m really surprised that we rank 18th among California’s best and 206th on the overall ranking of “America’s Best Colleges,” said junior anthropology major, Uvette Vernon. “I’m happy to be a part of a school with this type of ranking.”

Although we ranked high among other California colleges and universities, there is no insight on how La Verne will do on next year’s issue.

“The ranking game is a challenging game,” Morgan said.

“I think we shouldn’t focus on the ranking rather do what we do best and the ranking should take care of itself,” Reed said.

Natalie Veissalov can be reached at natalie.veissalov@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.

Tags: ,