You are here: Home // Columns // A healthier side to life

A healthier side to life

Samantha Sincock, Editorial Director/Arts Editor

“Burger, fries, and a Coke. Don’t bother me, I’m eating,” a saying that has become one of the most famous slogans of the fast food industry today.

In fact, America is so reliant on fast food that we insist that there be outlets throughout the country dishing out this “poison” to the masses.

Now don’t hear me wrong, I do occasionally subject myself to eating fast food because the options while traveling are slim. Who these days can’t? It is everywhere, on street corners, in ads, commercials and have you noticed while you drive how you can smell a place before it even is even in view.

The easy access to fast food is one of the downfalls in our society today and a reason why health is such a growing issue in the states. If we could just be given healthier outlets without MSG and high calories maybe we turn a new leaf.

How hard is it to pack healthy snacks with you throughout your day to munch on instead of getting that candy bar or quick milk shake?

I have found throughout the years that changing the little eating habits in my life allow me to have more energy and overall feel better.

As a college student I am pressed for time and I found myself stuck between a bag of pop tarts for breakfast and driving through a burger joint for dinner. I was constantly skipping lunch because it did not fit my busy schedule, and coffee was the only thing that kept me going.

Now I don’t know about you but I felt far from amazing living this “rushed” lifestyle day in and out. The caffeine killed my stomach but I need it to keep up my energy so I couldn’t get rid of that. And I just could not figure out how to fit lunch in between my quick breaks in classes.

Then it dawned on me, why not pack food throughout the day to keep my energy up and not spend money. Genius was reached and I felt a like I had just solved an intense arithmetic problem.

A small bag of granola, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a banana can easily fit in your bag and keep your cravings for that grease at bay.

Now I no longer skip lunch, my breakfast is on the go fruit and wheat toast and dinner is whatever I can pack in an ice chest before school. Also small snacks of granola, veggies, and fiber bars don’t hurt.

I personally love a good cheeseburger, vanilla shake and french fries, they are my weakness, especially after a long day. But even though it is one of my favorite foods, I have taken them out of my diet only resorting to them as a treat.

My family planted a garden this summer and began using the produce from it to make dishes and snacks instead of grabbing something from the freezer and heating it up. I found I had a lighter step in my day, not to mention better eating habits tend to take off the pounds.

It really is not hard to eat healthy; in fact it is almost easier than getting in the car and grabbing McDonald’s. Even vegetarian methods can help you maintain a healthy diet and life.

By changing my diet I found I am not as tired or getting those stomach aches from coffee. My life has become what it should be, a pleasurable journey filled with food, now what could be better than that?

Samantha Sincock, a junior journalism major, is editorial director and arts editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at samantha.sincock@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.

Tags: ,