You are here: Home // Columns // Building blocks for the future

Building blocks for the future

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

I had a hard time figuring out what I was going to write for my column this issue. Then I began to reflect about this semester and my past two years of college at the University of La Verne.

I cannot believe how fast my college years are passing by, especially this semester. I remember starting college and being so scared of the new environment.

Although there were some classmates from high school that came to La Verne, I made entirely new friends and began a new clean slate.

It feels like we just started this semester, but November is almost here.

Carrying 16 units and being editor in chief takes most of my time.

Plus the classes I am taking require me to do extensive group projects and spend most of my hours studying in the library.

I sometimes feel like I do not have time to see my family.

They are always telling me to take it easy, but they do not understand the amount of work I have.

However, I am grateful for the rigorous workload La Verne has given me. I have improved in almost all subjects, especially writing and how to think outside the box.

La Verne has made me into a very knowledgeable and less ignorant person. I have learned a lot in television class, philosophy class, media ethics class and economics class, just to name a few.

Being part of newspaper has not only shown me how a newspaper runs and journalism skills, it has also shown me great leadership skills by being news editor and now editor in chief.

The classes I have taken at La Verne will not only make me knowledgeable in a particular field of study, but they will also help me in the workforce overall.

I will have the tools and knowledge to help me in problems I come across in the workforce.

So far I feel by attending La Verne, I will be able to navigate the world better.

Thus, I should not be complaining about this wonderful gift.

La Verne has also allowed me to develop great relationships with my professors, which have helped me a lot in my curriculum.

However, most importantly they have help me by writing me recommendation letters for various internships and scholarships.

I greatly appreciate them for all their hard work and support.

Although graduating from college will be a great accomplishment for me and relieve some tension, I will greatly miss it.

I will be faced with many challenges in the ‘new’ world.

All I can hope for is the best and be optimistic that the economy gets better.

I have gotten so used to being at La Verne, that I think it will be hard when I graduate.

I have developed great friendships at La Verne. I have laughed a lot at La Verne. And it’s those memories spent at La Verne that I will greatly miss.

However, I feel once I graduate I will be ready to start a new chapter in my life.

Once in the workforce, doing what I love most – journalism – I will remember those great times I had at La Verne.

I will be glad that I chose such a small university to receive my bachelor’s degree rather than attending a big state school.

I think I would not be who I am, if I did not attend La Verne. There is so much opportunity for leadership at the University of La Verne.

La Verne has given me so many great opportunities that have allowed me to succeed.

Natalie Veissalov, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at natalie.veissalov@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.

Tags: ,