You are here: Home // Columns // Experience through internships

Experience through internships

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

Instead of laying on the beach in Cancun, Mexico, or sightseeing in Europe this summer, I completed an internship at a Conde Nast publication called Women’s Wear Daily, which was in the same building as Vogue and W magazine.

For those who may not know much about Women’s Wear Daily, let me give you some insight about it.

WWD is a fashion trade publication, which is considered the ‘fashion bible’ in the fashion world, and it covers many different aspects of the fashion industry including retail, business, beauty and fashion news.

I wore a lot of different hats during my internship and I learned so much while on the job.
Although many people have preconceived ideas about internships in the fashion world as being intimidating and cold, my internship experience was the complete opposite.

I had a great, fulfilling experience supplemented with great editors and interns. Everyone in the office was friendly and helpful.

Anytime I had a question or a problem, I was always helped and guided.

One thing I learned in a matter of hours was how to blast out my questions fast and be aggressive to make sure you get the information you need for your story. I learned so many things in just a matter of hours – including how the entertainment business works.

When I was hired to join the team and help out, I was ecstatic and appreciative of the opportunity.
I have been reading this publication for quite some time and read other magazines under the Conde Nast publication, such as W, Vogue, Vanity Fair and Glamour magazines.

It is my goal to write permanently for either WWD or any other Conde Nast publication.

What I liked most about my internship experience was how I was thrown into the water right away.
In my second week of working at my internship, I got asked to cover a big red carpet event – the Crystal and Lucy Awards, which honors women in film.

My mentor went through the process of covering red carpet events, which relieved some of my anxiety.
With the help of my mentor, I formulated questions to ask the celebrities.

On the day of the event, I was anxious and excited at the same time.

Before the event, I thought I was going to be star-struck, but when celebrities like Jodie Foster, Jennifer Aniston and Catherine Hardwicke walked the red carpet, I was surprised at how cool I remained.

When I arrived at the venue, I was surrounded by public relations people, camera operators and reporters from well recognized stations and publications such as Fox, KCAL 9, the Insider, Extra, E!, People magazine and US Weekly just to name a few.

Everyone was really helpful and friendly, besides some pushy photographers and reporters.

In addition to covering the Crystal and Lucy Awards, I covered various events including movie premieres, store openings and anniversaries where I interviewed more celebrities and designers.
My internship definitely allowed me to sharpen my interviewing techniques.

While at the events, I met interesting and knowledgeable people in the business. It allowed me to network and create connections with people.

Overall, my internship experience was a success, and I recommend everyone to complete an internship because it really helps a person get a feel for what they want to do.

Natalie Veissalov, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at natalie.veissalov@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.