You are here: Home // Columns // Life's simple pleasures

Life's simple pleasures

Samantha Sincock, Editorial Director/Arts Editor

Fall has arrived and finally we have reached the right temperature for October.

Nothing is better than sitting outside in the crisp air sipping on a warm cup of coffee as the wind blows the leaves around. It is during this time of year that I long to live on the East Coast so I could see the leaves change colors, but then I remember their harsh winters and decide pictures on the internet will do.

I would have to say fall is one of my favorite seasons of the year. It is when there are pumpkin patches, back to school sales, cloudy days, and pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks. The air becomes cold and smells almost fresh, while the rainy days allow for movies and popcorn on the couch.

I would have to say one of the best movies to watch when your longing for fall-esque cinema is “You’ve Got Mail.” When they talk about a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils and the way New York changes in the fall it gets me every time. And of course there is that wonderful line, “I hear nothing not even the sound of the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart,” oh how much truth that simple line holds.

And I love how shops and homes through the country are adorned with some type of pumpkin decor during fall. Just this week I was sitting in a diner enjoying some breakfast and all around the small restaurant were jack-o-lanterns, skeletons, pumpkins, red and yellow leaf bundles, the whole thing put me in quite the Halloween mood.

Now exactly what is the cut-off age for trick-or-treating/dressing up? Some say junior high, while others will drag it out through high-school, and we allow adults to get away with it because it is a neighborhood “Halloween party.” I like to walk around with my younger cousins and see how many houses try to scare little children with their fake zombies, dark walk ways and black lights. If you haven’t done it before you’ll be surprised it is quite amusing.

I also enjoy how the house smells in fall, my mom loves to bake when it is cold out and nothing it better than having baked goods in the house. Which leads to the fact that a lot of coffee shops, restaurants, etc. acquire pumpkin desserts and beverages in fall. Who would have thought that pumpkin tastes so good in so many different forms of food and drink.

I have also found its more enjoyable to sit and chat with friends at a coffee shop in the fall than it is any other time of the year.

The weather is just right allowing for a light jacket, pants, and maybe a scarf. You can get that warm beverage of your choice and lounge in the chilled air as you discuss school and up coming holidays.

Maybe it is just me, but I’m telling you, fall demands coffee shop visits, it is just perfect for those cinematic cafe moments.

So if you have failed to notice the change in weather or the fact that Halloween is just around the corner, I encourage you to partake in some fall activities. Carve a pumpkin and roast the seeds, take a walk through the park all bundled up, or visit that favorite coffee shop and gorge on its holiday treats. Whatever your tradition is hurry and do it, because we live in Southern California and that 80 degree weather can come back anytime and take away the fall chill.

Samantha Sincock, a junior journalism major, is editorial director and arts editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at samantha.sincock@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.