You are here: Home // Columns // Paranoia begins affecting health

Paranoia begins affecting health

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

Natalie Veissalov, Editor in Chief

The paranoia going around this flu season may seem to be higher than most other flu seasons. But for me there has always been a fear of getting a cold or flu.

I am constantly washing my hands to the point where my skin gets so dry it begins to crack.

I carry hand sanitizers, antibacterial wipes and try avoid touching any surface, which most of the time is impossible. If someone near me is sick, I try not to touch anything he or she has touched and if I really have to I either wipe it down with an antibacterial wipe or Lysol. I try to get at least eight hours of sleep and take a lot of vitamin C.

With all these precautions I take, I still manage to get sick, but not as much many people I know.

Not only do I fear the cold and flu, I fear all sorts of medical problems, and I over analyze any pain I get.

You may call me a hypochondriac.

According to the MedicineNet.com, a hypochondriac is “ a person who has hypochondriasis, a disorder characterized by a preoccupation with body functions and the interpretation of normal body sensations or minor aches and pains as portending problems of major medical moment.”

I believe this definition is very true of how I am.

When I get a pounding headache, thoughts of a stroke or a brain tumor begin to roll in mind.

So immediately when I feel a pain, I panic. I rush to find the phone number of my doctor and make an appointment. Once at the doctor’s office I am relieved to find out it is nothing.

I think I am so paranoid because when I was little, I used to get migraine headaches almost everyday.

I went to every doctor and did every test possible, including a CAT Scan to see what was wrong with me.

It does not come to my attention or I do not think what may really be causing my headache.

For example, stress can be causing my headache.

When I get terrible pain on the side, I think I have appendicitis. Since many say spicy and rich foods cause appendicitis, I will not eat spicy or rich foods on purpose because of my fear of getting appendicitis.

My family thinks I am overly dramatic and over think about things. And I would agree that I worry too much about things that are out of my hands and possibly may never happen.

In addition to being a hypochondriac, I am also superstitious. I believe it is unlucky to tell your dreams before you have had a glass of water, a black cat crossing in front of the road in front of me or walking under a ladder.

These are all superstitions I have inherited from my grandma and mother.

I wish they did not exist, but they seem to never fade away from my mind.

I try not to go places by myself in fear of being murdered, kidnapped or get into an accident.

When I see something bad happen to someone I know or on the news, I begin to ponder and over think that it might happen to me.

I think of the worst probability and then I just get an anxiety attack to the point where I can’t breathe and need my inhaler my doctor prescribe after I told him I was having severe panic attacks. I hope to continue to work on my paranoia and worry less about things that are out of my hands. I need to start worrying less. I can only hope for the best because will do not know the outcome of how thing will turn out.

Natalie Veissalov, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at natalie.veissalov@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.