You are here: Home // Columns // Doing what you love

Doing what you love

Julissa Cardenas, Web Editor

Julissa Cardenas, Web Editor

Many people ask me why I choose to be in journalism when newspapers are dying and people are not interested in reading the news anymore.

The reason I am in this field is because I honestly love it. Ever since I can remember I’ve loved to read and write and even though I understand that the economy has taken a toll on my chosen field, I am planning to stick with it.

Call me naïve, or inexperienced but I believe that there are many things to do with my degree. Journalists may not make that much money, but when you love what you do, it outweighs the rest, and there is always a way to make money in any field, no matter what.

A paycheck pays the bills, but an enjoyment for what you do helps you sleep at night. When you are content with your job, everything else falls in place.

A piece of advice that I am sure many have heard before is study what you truly enjoy doing, not what you think will bring in money. My parents have always encouraged me to do what I love, and my mom actually introduced me to journalism.

I knew that I loved to write and read, but I did not know what to do. I thought, maybe I can be an English teacher, but eventually I learned that teaching was not for me.

I figured my only option was to major in business, and see where that took me, until my mom said, “Why don’t you look into journalism?”

At first, I was skeptical of her advice.I thought the pressure to be good enough would be too hard to bear and running all over the place to get a story was not something I wanted to do.

After a while of deliberating,I took her advice and realized that this was exactly what I was looking for.

Running around and trying to get the story was something I actually enjoyed and I liked bringing the story together.

Although writing for a newspaper and a magazine is not the same as an essay, it is still writing and I still love it.

I cannot be doing the same thing day in and day out. Each week is different. I enjoy the surprise of the new stories for each edition, spot interviewing, and getting to know another person are the perks that come with this field.

That is what I love, nothing is set in stone, and each week brings in something new.

There are problems that rise with some stories, and sometimes the pressure gets intense, but there is nothing like a little pressure to get the mind going.

When problems come up and sources do not get back to you on time, you look for another source, or you simply move on.

Sometimes it is really hard to get a source to call you back, and after a while of trying to contact them, you feel like a stalker.

In the end, you have to realize that it is all for the story and no matter how hard you bug, and call, and threaten, the story needs it.

As a journalist, you make connections, and you establish a relationship with other journalists. Meeting new people at first, can be a little overwhelming and shyness can take the best of you, but eventually you get over it.

The thrill of getting the story and finding out new things never gets old, and I plan on doing this for a long time.

Julissa Cardenas, a sophomore communications major, is Web editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at julissa.cardenas@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.

Tags: ,