LV Life Editor
La Verne’s annual Homecoming Week kicked off on Monday with traditional Illuminations and the presentation of the Homecoming Court, on the front steps of Founders Hall.
The seniors on this year’s Homecoming Court are queen candidates AnnMarie Francis, Sami Cacchione, Naime Laskar, Ashley Dunn, Cathy Zech and king candidates Roger Acevedo, Christopher Weedon, John LeJay II, Don Sortillon and Ryan Figgs.
The Homecoming king and queen will be elected from among the court and announced Saturday.
This year’s Homecoming theme is TV Land.
The various events sponsored by the University’s Campus Activities Board that have taken place on campus this week all dealt with the theme in one way or another.
Those events included:
• “I Dream of Genie,” the presentation Monday of the Homecoming Court;
• “The Munsters,” a T-shirt tye-dying event Tuesday in Sneaky Park;
• “Ghostbusters,” a movie night Tuesday in the Campus Center Ballroom;
• “Gilligan’s Island,” a Hawaiian-themed luncheon attended by more than 100 people and Hawaiian Dancers event Wednesday afternoon in Sneaky Park, with music by Isle Entertainment;
• Geoff Keith, a comedian who performed Wednesday night in Founders Auditorium;
• “Happy Days,” a Thursday morning drive-in diner lunch held at Davenport Dining Hall;
• A 1950s Dance, for which students were encouraged to dress up in 1950s attire for a chance to win a prize Thursday night in the Campus Center Ballroom. CAB members dressed in poodle skirts and leather jackets while a DJ provided 1950s music for students to dance to.
Homecoming events scheduled for Friday and Saturday include:
• “The Love Boat,” the Homecoming pep rally from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday in the Johnson Family Plaza. Students will also be able to throw pies at finalists of the Homecoming Court;
• Dean’s Receptions for the College of Business and Public Management, College of Education and Organizational Leadership and the College of Arts and Sciences from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday night;
• A Community 5K Fun Run/Walk, sponsored by the athletic training education program, beginning at 7:15 a.m. Saturday at Sneaky Park. There is a $15 fee per walker;
• A Homecoming Street Fair with booths and activities sponsored by various ULV clubs, and a car show from 10 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Saturday on Second Street, between B Street and C Street;
• A Picnic Lunch, held from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Saturday on Second Street. with music provided by Leo FM;
• The Homecoming Football Game against the Cal Lutheran Kingsmen, beginning at 1 p.m.in Ortmayer Stadium;
• The Crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen, during the football game’s half-time show;
• A Post-Game Party held after the Homecoming football game Saturday, with In-N-Out fare and live beach party music by the Surfing Safaris;
• An Alumni, Friends and Floaters Potluck for past and present members of the Floaters group, from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sunday in the Ludwick Conference Center in the Campus Center. (Guests are asked to bring a dish to share with the group.)
For more information, visit laverne.edu/homecoming.
- 14 September, 2011 @ 12:55 [Current Revision] by Angie Marcos
- 6 November, 2009 @ 0:04 by Eric Borer