You are here: Home // Columns // Generations falling down

Generations falling down

Samantha Sincock, Editorial Director/Arts Editor

You are in the store about to purchase your groceries for the week, a mother stands in front of you, her child running in circles screaming out in awkward babble the lyrics to “Party in the U.S.A.”

You walk outside and see an elderly lady struggling with her groceries as five strapping boys pass by her without a care.

A father is walking with his teenage daughter, you over hear her talking down to him as if he were incompetent and he tunes her out of his mind.

A car rolls by with windows down blaring what seems to sound of the bombings of Hiroshima and you can barley see the drivers face as they lay back into their reclined seat.

All the while you think to yourself, what has happened to the generations?

The more I observe and look around, the more disappointed I become with the youth of our nation.

It feels like the generations that have followed after me have fallen into a downward spiral in which they could recover from but lack the means to do so.

Whatever happened to when a child used to have manners, respect their peers and adults? Or when they knew all fifty states, capitals, presidents or just our country’s history in general.

I cannot count the times I have heard someone fail to remember our first president, or know that Sacramento is the capital of California.

And have you heard the way they talk to each other?

Yelling back and forth across long distances, cursing at the top of their lungs and they are just children, 10 to 15 years old.

And the new form of communication, “text-lingo,” who would have ever thought we would have to distinguish what LOLZ, AML, BRB or DGAF means?

And when did we start using acronyms in our daily conversations or in professional emails?

I think that texting and its “lingo” has ruined future generations’ spelling and grammar skills, and might jeopardize their careers and over all way of life.

The other day a fellow student insisted I look at this site called trueblab.com. You type in your university name and are directed into a gossip site that bashes on students and faculty in the school.

The conversations that were being held not only completely criticized the individual on the chopping block, but the arguments had some of the worst grammar and spelling I have ever seen.

If the person who is trying to make a valid point in an argument cannot even spell out the sentence the right way, don’t you think it takes the punch out of their verbal blow?

I feel sorry for the younger generations. It is not their fault they lack the better knowledge to escape the pit of despair.

I am not saying all of them are subjected to this future or what have you, but if they don’t start learning for themselves I do not see a productive future for them.

I hope that we as the “leaders” of these younger individuals can set an example to better direct them on in life.

Let us not be known as the generation that failed to help turn the tide of uneducated children toward a new hope. Instead, let us influence them to begin reading books, using proper speech and respect their elders.

Samantha Sincock, a junior journalism major, is editorial director and arts editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at samantha.sincock@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.