You are here: Home // Columns // Living in a fictional world

Living in a fictional world

Angie Marcos, LV Life Editor

Angie Marcos, LV Life Editor

When I was 9 years old, I was introduced into the world of Harry Potter by a friend in my fourth grade class. Wizards, witches, spells, potions and wands were of great interest to me from the ages of 9 to 14. I dreamt of attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and having a giant like Hagrid as a friend to advise me through all of life’s difficulties. I yearned to learn how to conduct spells and memorize the use of each specific potion instead of learning math and science throughout grade school.

And I know I am not the only one that wanted to play Quidditch. To this day, I know more about the rules of Quidditch than any real-life professional sport.

Putting aside Harry’s life threatening adventures, I, as well as millions of others around the world, fell in love with the alternate world where magic exists.

While I think it very odd and embarrassing now, my friends and I thought it was so cool that we knew the names of various spells and potions. Waiting inside of Borders until midnight for the book releases of Harry Potter were a highlight of my childhood. I will never forget my dad (who had never even heard of Harry Potter) walking into Borders and his expression when he saw hundreds of kids dressed up as Dumbledore, Voldemort, Harry or any other character that required a robe, strange hat and a broomstick.

From the year 2000 to 2004 Harry Potter was not the only magical wizard, however. An entire fascination with witches and wizards arose. Everyone wanted to be a part of this new phenomenon. But, eventually, Harry became a thing of the past and he and his magical world are now just a remembrance of my childhood sitting on a bookshelf.

Recently, however, a new magical world has come forward – one that has vampires and werewolves residing in it.

Most of the people I have come across either love “ Twilight” to the point of obsession, I recently talked a friend out of getting a tattoo of a vampire bite mark on her wrist like Bella’s, or hate the series more than anything else in life, you know who you are.

With the sudden uprising of fame in the vampire series, many other vampire related shows and books have risen to fame. Shows like “ True Blood” and “ Vampire Diaries” are being publicized in commercials and advertisements.

I, too, have fallen into the world of vampires and “ Twilight.” I read all four books in the series in less than two weeks. I spent the night of Nov.19 in line at a movie theater for the midnight showing of “ New Moon” and have watched it three times since then.

Nonetheless, “ Twilight,” as Harry Potter has also done, opened a new world for people of all ages to escape to; a world where vampires and werewolves walk among us and either have sparkly skin or run shirtless in a pack through forests. Instead of memorizing spells, I am now well informed of the rules of vampires and the origins of werewolves.

It is comforting to have the ability to believe that something that was once thought to be so far-fetched can actually be a reality through books, movies and television. So sure it may be annoying at times to hear 13-year-old girls shriek over their alliance to Team Edward or Team Jacob, but it’ll only last a little longer and then a new phenomenon that we can all complain about will arise.

Angie Marcos, a sophomore journalism major, is LV Life editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at angie.marcos@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.