You are here: Home // News // New editors set goals, plans

New editors set goals, plans

Natalie Veissalov and Kevin Garrity will begin their roles as La Verne Magazine editor in chief and Campus Times editor in chief, respectively, next spring. Veissalov is the current editor in chief of the Campus Times while Garrity serves as managing editor. photo by/ Rafael Anguiano

Charlie Neff

In anticipation of the spring semester, communications department faculty have selected new editors in chief for both the Campus Times newspaper and La Verne Magazine.

Senior journalism major Kevin Garrity will lead the Campus Times, while current Campus Times editor in chief Natalie Veissalov will switch hats and lead the magazine staff.

Garrity said he was very excited upon hearing the news from newspaper adviser and Associate Professor of Journalism Elizabeth Zwerling.

“When Elizabeth told me, I was really honored,” Garrity said. “The previous editors set high standards, but I still hope to advance the newspaper and continually try to make it better.”

Veissalov said she had a feeling she was going to be offered the magazine position by George Keeler, magazine adviser and professor of journalism.

“I saw there was an override for my class schedule,” Veissalov said. “And then George officially asked me.”

The editor in chief of each publications is in charge of the entire publication, and oversees every staff writer.

The job is often as challenging as it is rewarding, calling for a leader who is not only familiar with the publication process and deadlines, but also has good organizational skills. Another important skill to have is the ability to work independently as well working well with others.

Zwerling said Garrity, who served previously as sports editor and is currently managing editor,was the clear choice for the Campus Times top job.

“I think he will do a great job,” Zwerling said. “He is an independent thinker, which is a good quality for an editor in chief. And he’s done an excellent job in the other positions he’s held. Has really proved himself.”

Keeler also is proud of his choice of Veissalov.
“Natalie comes to us with an enormous amount of experience, having served as editor-in-chief of the Campus Times,” Keeler said.

“Natalie is fun to work with, and she is going to bring her enthusiasm, talent, curiosity and dedications to our departmental publication. Our students highly respect her, and so do I. I look forward to working with her in this top leadership role,” Keeler said.

“I am not scared,” Veissalov said. “I was scared when I first was editor in chief for the newspaper, but now I think I can handle being an editor in chief for a little longer.”

There are many high hopes for the newspaper as well as the magazine for next semester.

“I hope to take the paper in a new, more focused direction,” Zwerling said. “Journalism is changing, and we will be changing too.”

Charlie Neff can be reached at charlie.neff@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.