You are here: Home // Columns // Commentary:Lack of Leo Dollars prevents healthy eating

Commentary:Lack of Leo Dollars prevents healthy eating

Carly Hill, News Editor

Carly Hill, News Editor

Now I am not the most fit of individuals. I like to refer to myself as big boned, or voluptuous. But when I am feeling bloated, I want to eat healthy.

And on a college budget, and the only food option being the school-dining program, I feel that the University of La Verne is trying to keep me overweight.

During the week is OK, with salad bar available at every meal, but main courses are not served with health in mind.

The vegetables seem to be cooked in butter, and a starchy potato dish is almost always included. Even when a grilled chicken is served, it is covered in a fattening sauce or smothered in cheese. Hamburgers and fries are also served at every meal.

But I am a forgiving person, and can respect that salad bar will be my entrée on the weekdays.
Which brings me to last weekend.

I have a meal plan, which allows me to eat at the café, Barbara’s Place, during the normal meal hours, which are 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

So I wanted a salad on Saturday, which is only available pre-made, for my dinner. I walk up to the counter, ready to use a meal to purchase it, and they reject me.

Apparently, to get something healthy from the fridge, you have to use Leo Dollars. I don’t have Leo Dollars.

Maybe I shouldn’t have yelled at the staff, I know it’s not their fault, but sometimes I want to be healthy, you know?

So I finally get my salad, which has cheese on it, and the only dressings have hundreds of calories in them.

But I got my salad, and still decided to give the dining facilities the benefit of the doubt.

Sunday rolls along, and I go back to Barbara’s place, hungry, but still trying to be healthy.

I order a grilled chicken sandwich, which sounds pretty healthy. I then ask if there is a side that is available that isn’t fries, because I am trying to be healthy. The response? Chips.

Anything else, I ask?

Well, you can have a side salad.

There were no side salads left.

So I just took the fries out of frustration. I went back to my floor, to dig into my sandwich.
Which was so dry.

I had to saturate it in ketchup in order for it to go down my throat.

Which brings me to my point. If you want to be healthy, don’t turn to the dining at the University of La Verne.

Which is unfortunate, because I have 180 meals left for the rest of the semester, and I’m a sophomore, so I can’t blame weight gain on the freshman 15.

Carly Hill, a sophomore journalism major, is news editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at carly.hill@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.