You are here: Home // News // Communications has new leaders

Communications has new leaders

The Communications Department at the University of La Verne was pleased to announce the publication and broadcast leadership for Fall 2010. Courtney Gooden, will take over as LeoFM program director for the next two semesters, Kristen Campbell will be the Campus Times editor in chief and Samantha Sincock will become editor in chief of La Verne Magazine for fall 2010./ photo by Christopher Guzman

Erin Foltz

The semester is almost over and that means it is time to announce the new leaders of the communications department: the editors of the Campus Times and La Verne Magazine, as well as the new program director of LeoFM.

The department has selected Kristen Campbell to take the reins as editor in chief of the Campus Times, Samantha Sincock as editor in chief of La Verne Magazine and Courtney Gooden as the program director for LeoFM.

A former editor of her high school newspaper, and current news editor of the Campus Times, Campbell has the experience needed to fill these shoes.

Campbell is a freshman journalism major and a member of the honors program.

She has also been a part of the theater department’s cabaret show, Facets, and considers writing and acting are her two her favorite activities.

Campbell was surprised and pleased by the news that she had been selected and is ready to take on the job.

“This semester I was intending to only be a staff writer, and when I was asked to be an editor I decided to do it,”
Campbell said. “Because I took on the position as a news editor, it definitely decided that journalism is what I want to do with my life,” she added.

“I guess throughout the semester I’ve shown the required leadership and motivation in my current position to be the editor in chief next semester.”

Associate Professor of Jour­nalism Elizabeth Zwerling, the Campus Times adviser, agrees that Campbell has the talent and determination for the job.

“Kristen has proved herself to be hardworking and a quick study. She has shown me that she loves the process of putting together the newspaper, and she has the passion to get it done,” Zwerling said.

Campbell has big hopes for the newspaper next semester.

“I plan on continuing the good work that has become the precedent of the Campus Times. I will work to strengthen the group communication of the newspaper staff and make the relationships between editors and writers stronger, as well as being a mentor for new staff writers,” Campbell said.

La Verne Magazine adviser and Professor of Journalism George Keeler has selected Sincock as the new editor in chief, taking over from Natalie Veissalov who held the position this spring.

The La Verne Magazine recently won the Society of Professional Journalists first place award in general excellence for the western United States. Sincock, a junior journalism major who spends much of her time working at Disneyland, is looking forward to the commitment.

“My hopes as editor of the magazine are to produce a clean issue that is not only very appealing to the eye, but that contains stories that everybody can read, relate to and appreciate,” Sincock said.

With two semesters as a Campus Times editor and an internship with the Pasadena Weekly, Sincock gained the experience and knowledge needed to take on this role.

“I have experience from a lot of different media levels that I can bring to this job,” Sincock said. “I know the workings of both magazines and newspapers.

“Being a member of this staff gives you a lot more time and freedom to write a story, express yourself and travel down a different avenue.”

Keeler believes that Sincock has what it takes to keep La Verne Magazine on top.

“Right now, being that we are ranked the best university magazine in the West, I am counting on Samantha to keep us at that high level,” Keeler said. “She has great leadership skills, is an excellent writer and has a true journalist’s curiosity.”

LeoFM adviser and Professor of Communications Mike Laponis has chosen Gooden as the new program director, taking control from this year’s director, Ruby Ballestamon.

A broadcasting major, who is also the social chair of Phi Sigma Sigma, captain of the ULV dance team and a member of RHA, she has previous experience as the station imaging director and music director to help her ease into this new position.

“I love working for LeoFM because it really shows me the ins and outs of what its like to work for a real station,” Gooden said. “The reason I enjoy working in radio is because it really opens up a world of options being there are so many jobs available in this field, from producing the music to being an on-air personality,” Gooden said.

“I’m looking forward to working with the new staff next year, seeing different dynamics and personalities help bring the sound of the station to a new and creative level.”

Laponis is fully confident in Goodens capabilities of directing the station next year.

“Courtney has the experience needed, with being on air for multiple years, her strong musical knowledge, and great
leadership skills to be very successful in this position,” Laponis said.

Erin Foltz can be reached at erin.foltz@laverne.edu.

There are no revisions for this post.