You are here: Home // LV Life // Bloggers strive to attract potential students

Bloggers strive to attract potential students

Michael Phillips
LV Life Editor

The University of La Verne is launching a new project to help prospective and current students share the college experience; student blogging.

The admissions department at La Verne reached out to students on Twitter, MySpace, Facebook and other resources on campus to find six students willing to blog about their experiences this semester.

“Another counselor. . .and myself had an idea about a student blog to rope prospective students,” said Candyce Coleman, blog coordinator and assistant director of undergraduate admissions.

Coleman sorted through the applications and chose the bloggers herself.

“I looked at diversity of the students. Hometown, year, activities as well as writing skills and how they were able to capture the readers,” Coleman said.

“This is something completely new to me, I just wanted to go outside of my bubble and try something different,” Korynn Frelow, junior business major, said. When not blogging or in class, Frelow works three jobs and is involved on campus.

Each of the bloggers will update their blog once a week about something new. The bloggers are students Breana White, Korynn Frelow, Matthew Sustayta, Clarissa Holz, Lucie Liu and Albert Valencia, who is studying abroad in Amsterdam.

“I’m really honored to be chosen,” White, a freshman child development and English major, said. “I have some really funny stories to tell this week.”

Coleman had been thinking about this project for about a year until this summer when she brought her idea to life.

To further the development of her project Coleman worked with Chris Frazier, director of digital marketing communications and his staff.

The blog is completely run by students, with Coleman acting solely as coordinator.

“Student workers design, take pictures and videos of the bloggers and are in charge of marketing the blog,” Coleman said.

“I found out about the blogging experience from my coach,” Matthew Sustayta, sophomore, said. “It’s fun to be able to put my stuff on paper and to know that people from La Verne are going to be able to read it.”

Junior movement and sports science teaching track major Clarissa Holz also found out about the blogs from her coach.

“It helps me reflect on what happens each week,” Holz said. “My sophomore and freshman year felt like it went by really fast because I didn’t get a chance to reflect on it.”

Holz said her blog is more about athletics and hopes to attract prospective athletes to the university.

“I think it’s really good that I’m able to speak out,” said international student Lucie Liu. “I feel it’ll motivate other international students to get involved on campus.”

To read the student blogs go to students.laverne.edu/experience/.

Coleman plans to rotate the blog next semester allowing other students to blog their experience.

“The current set of bloggers will blog until the end of January Interterm.

The main purpose of the blogs is to spark the interest of prospective students about life at La Verne as well as encourage dialogue with the use of comments on the blog posts,” Coleman said.

Michael Phillips can be reached at michael.phillips2@laverne.edu.