You are here: Home // Columns, Opinions // Commentary: The hot and cold of cellular phones

Commentary: The hot and cold of cellular phones

Michael Phillips, LV Life Editor

When I think about how many cell phones I have had in my life I am reminded of the story “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” minus the porridge.

So instead of being almost eaten I ended up with 12 cellular phones, some of which were not even worth the upgrade.

As human beings we have come a long way with our cellular devices.

From the 16-ounce brick phones, to the built in car phones of the 1980s to Motorola’s walkie talkie phones and now our infamous smart phones that allow us to do much more than their clunky predecessors.

Thanks to the amount of phones available and my extreme indecisiveness, I have probably spent more money on phones than I have school supplies, but I would have to say that Google’s Android line has been my favorite and has definitely proved its worth.

Android is not necessarily a phone but an operating system from Google that runs on a number of phones.

Android highly resembles the computer operating system Linux which is known for its openness and how customizeable it is. According to reuters.com about 200,000 Androids are sold every day.

I currently am using the T-mobile Mytouch 3G Slide by HTC. With my Android I’ve spent hours at Walmart scanning random products with my built in barcode scanner.

After scanning them I was able to see the prices of these items at other stores as well as reviews.

Because of this I literally read a slew of reviews before purchasing the simplest things from toothpaste to laundry detergent.

With my Android I had a choice of phone makers unlike Apple’s iPhone and other smartphones. With Android you can have a phone made by Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Acer, Dell, Garmin, LG, Pantech and many more.

Like Goldilocks I am picky I have had LG phones, Motorola, Sidekicks and Samsung but HTC is just right. Android is an enabler and allows users like myself to be as picky as we would like.

Sadly I must brag about all the awesome things my Android phone does for me.

Starting with, it sings me to sleep with sounds of the ocean, acts as a walkie-talkie for paintballing sessions, helps me find my car in crowded parking lots, automatically rejects calls and texts from certain individuals, syncs with my email and allows me to receive news and the latest Facebook gossip on my home screen.

Could it get any better? I think not.

Michael Phillips, a junior journalism major, is LV Life editor of the Campus Times. He can be reached by e-mail at michael.phillips2@laverne.edu.