You are here: Home // News // Dorms are full to overflowing

Dorms are full to overflowing

A temporary fix includes tripling up in some rooms.

Brittany Lawrence

This fall’s record-setting enrollment should benefit the University of La Verne’s prestige and financial well being. But the significant number of new undergraduate students has put a squeeze on resources such as housing.

More than 770 new undergraduate freshmen, transfer and international students were counted within the first week of classes of this semester.

With all of the new students at ULV, make-shift changes had to be made, including squeezing extra students into shared dorm rooms and finding off-campus accommodations.

“Standard procedure … is being taken to house all of the new students,” Eugene Shang, associate director of housing, said.

ULV has three main dorm buildings: Brandt Hall, Stu-Han and the Oaks. While some students are packed three-to-a-room in the on-campus dorms, 50 lucky students are living large about two miles away from campus at the Sheraton Fairplex Hotel in Pomona.

“Everyone who must live on campus will be housed,” Shang said. “We are adding extra people to rooms to accommodate, which is standard. The cost will go down for those students who did get an additional roommate. There is no waiting list for rooms, but a pending list. The students on this list are ones who live close to the school and can commute. When a room opens up, someone off the pending list can move in.”

Not every dorm resident has acquired an extra roommate, but it does not mean that they have not noticed the housing crunch.

“This is my second year rooming in Stu-Han and I am lucky to have only one roommate, unlike some of the other rooms. The building feels noticeably more crowded, though, than it did last year,” said Daisy Aldana, sophomore anthropology major.

Some residents in the Oaks buildings feel differently about the crowded dorms, and are not even affected by the issue.

“I am living in the Oaks for the second year now and I feel like it is the best dorm building here. I only have one roommate and my floor doesn’t feel crowded at all,” Eric Fernandez, sophomore, said.

Out of the three buildings on campus, the Oaks is often the most desirable to live in, mostly due to the fact that both Brandt and Stu-Han lack air conditioning.

There are students who beg to differ.

“I live in Brandt and I really enjoy it. I am really lucky I got a good roommate,” Ashley Rozatti, freshman communications major, said.

“The building does not feel crowded to me, and the reason I like it is because it feels very traditional, like how a dorm should. It is very homey,” Rozatti said.

A less traditional dorm atmosphere is the rooms at the Sheraton, where an overflow of students reside during this semester.

Although the rooms at the Sheraton are nicer and only two people share a bathroom, it is located off-campus so students need to have a car or use another form of transportation to attend classes.

“I really like living at the Sheraton because the rooms are so nice and it is only two people to a room, and we get our own bathroom in each room,” Stephanie Hernandez, sophomore sociology major, said.

“We were invited to live here by the housing director. The only thing that takes some getting used to, though, is the fact that we are not on campus so we don’t have the luxury of forgetting something in our room and being able to run back and get it. We have to be extremely prepared when we leave for school,” Hernandez said.

Brittany Lawrence can be reached at brittany.lawrence@laverne.edu.

Also see the companion piece, “New housing planned.”