You are here: Home // News // Alumni provide information on media careers

Alumni provide information on media careers

Univision 34 KMEX-TV sports anchor Enrique Gutierrez spoke to students, faculty, and more than 250 potential ULV students during Communications Day on Friday. Gutierrez is an alumnus of the Communications Department. La Verne’s Communications Department held its annual open house on Friday, giving high school and transfer students the chance to learn about the many different opportunities the department offers. /photo by Garrett Gutierrez

Branden del Rio
News Editor

The University of La Verne’s Communications Department played host to nearly 300 students Oct. 22 in an alumni studded event.

The 19th annual Communi­cations Day brought students with interests ranging from public relations, journalism, photojournalism and advertising from many high schools from around the Southland and even some from colleges such as Citrus and Pomona.

The event began at 8 a.m. in front of the Arts and Communi­cations Building with all of the students and advisers checking in through registration. After receiving name badges they selected two workshops.

After the workshops the students made their way to the Campus Center ballroom to hear keynote speaker Enrique Gutierrez, a graduate of ULV and sports anchor for Univision 34.

George Keeler, professor of journalism, introduced the speaker. Keeler said that he has interviewed the “kings and queens of the sports world” including Oscar De La Hoya, David Beckham and Kobe Bryant.

“I’m not a public speaker, I am a journalist and I am a dreamer,” Gutierrez said before turning the cameras on the audience and asking them what their dreams were. “I firmly believe that when people follow their dreams beautiful things can happen.”

A native of Chihuahua, Mexico, Gutierrez emphasized the importance of students following their dreams. His secret to making it in journalism, or anything for that matter, was simply to follow one’s dreams.

“The most beautiful realities come out of your dreams,” he said to the audience.

After his speech he opened the floor to questions and a slew of students headed to the microphones to ask Gutierrez about his biggest hurdles, the future of broadcast with the rise of the Internet and simply to tell him that he was inspirational.

Workshops included “LeoFM: On the Air,” “Producing Television News,” “Photo­journalism: Finding the Icon” and the cleverly titled “How to Avoid Getting Egg on Your Face,” which taught visiting students the importance of fact checking.

“I didn’t get the workshops I wanted, but I’m glad I got another perspective,” Samantha Herrera, Nogales High School junior, said of her inability to get into the LeoFM workshop.

“I liked that I could be involved in making a show and being in the audio room because I liked being on both sides of the production,” Marc Eddy, Orange Glen High senior, said of a television producing workshop he attended.

One workshop, “Public Affairs and Multimedia in Action,” featured two alumni Julie Sanchez-Alvarez and Gabriela de la Cruz.

Since graduating, the two have held jobs at Klatch Coffee and Pomona Unified School District, respectively.

Another workshop included a panel of four alumni who were former Campus Times editors and now have jobs ranging from contributing editor of Sub5zero.com, an online car publication, analyst for a research firm, associate producer for Fox Sports management and a reporter for the Orange County Register.

The panel stressed the importance of being well-rounded in all types of reporting.

Due to the damp weather, the planned barbeque in Sneaky Park was cancelled and a lunch of hotdogs and hamburgers was brought to the Campus Center’s third floor ballroom.

Some guests decided to enjoy lunch and roam around the third and second floors of the Campus Center. Many others lined up adjacent to the stage to get a personal meet and greet with Gutierrez.

He spent several minutes with each group as he shared stories with them.

Communications Day was an eye opener for some students who attended.

“I honestly had no idea this school even existed. I went on a whim and now I’m very enlightened by the experience,” Ryley Mueller, Orange Glen High School senior, said.

Nearly all of those attended enjoyed the event, including the advisers.

“I want them to know what opportunities are available and most people I know end up here,” Lily Azer, adviser for Colony High’s journalism class and alumnus of ULV, said.

“I thought it was a great event. I’m very proud and very honored to be here and I hope they invite me over again,” Gutierrez said.

Branden del Rio can be reached at branden.delrio@laverne.edu.