You are here: Home // Letters to the Editor, Opinions // Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

In response to last week’s editorial about the Spotted Pig on the Opinions page (“This little piggy has a problem,” Oct. 15), I would like to say that that campaign is not merely an effort to get your pocket change. It is about getting students to give back. It’s an endeavor to instill in us a practice of giving that can impact our world. I believe helping those around us who are in need is the only way we can grow. I don’t want to be a student who is not willing to look beyond my own situation. William Osler, a great icon of modern medicine said, “We are here to add what we can to life, not take what we can from it.” That’s the way I live my life and it’s what determines my attitude about giving to the Spotted Pig.

Yes, I know what it’s like to scrimp and save for tuition. In fact, as an international student, I don’t qualify for most of the scholarships and grants here. But I can’t allow that to stop me from giving. The truth is we will always have something to pay off; bills will come every month for the rest of our lives. But that doesn’t mean we can’t give something for the betterment of society. I know the difference an education makes, and I’m not just talking about academics. La Verne has taught me to think outside my small perimeter and look beyond the horizons. I’m learning about the world around me and what kind of impact I want to have on it.

So when it comes to the cute piggy waiting in my room when I return from a long day at school or work, I am proud to say that I will “feed” him the loose change that’s left in my pocket. If it can help a classmate when an emergency happens, then I’ll give to the cause. There’s no pressure to fill it immediately or to include big bills. It’s the act that counts not the amount. If we each give something to this Piggy Campaign we can make a huge difference collectively.

For what it’s worth, La Verne does reach outside of the campus community to alumni, foundations and friends of the University and raises significant support each year. But why should anyone else want to help us if we’re not willing to help each other?

Danielle Strachan
Senior