You are here: Home // Dining, LV Life // Dessert Review: Sinfully Sweet serves tasty desserts

Dessert Review: Sinfully Sweet serves tasty desserts

Claremont residents Eva and Abe Miakhael enjoy treats with their sons, 4-year-old Joseph and 2-year-old Timothy. Sinfully Sweet Apple Company is located in the shopping center on the southwest corner of Foothill Blvd. and D St. in La Verne. / photo by Allison Lavelle

Michael Phillips
Copy Editor

As I walked through the doors of Sinfully Sweet Apple Company, the aroma of the various desserts quickly filled my nose and triggered my taste buds.

Sinfully Sweet’s décor reflects its suggestive name; the inside is decorated in red and white with a seating area and several countertops filled with various types of desserts.

On the walls there are large portraits that showcase owner Martha Henderson’s apple creations.

The assortment of apples in the display cases were not typical caramel-covered apples sprinkled with peanuts.

Instead I saw large apples like the “apple pie” which was rolled in cinnamon and had a chocolate drizzle design decorated on it.

The decorations on the apples transformed them from plain green fruit to dazzling and decadent morsels.

Sinfully Sweet opened in 2008, but Henderson was creating delicious treats long before that.

In 1999, Henderson was laid off from her job and even with two master degrees and two bachelor degrees she was unable to find a job.

“I started walking farmer markets, but I didn’t want to do hamburgers; I wanted to do something different,” Hender­son said.

She started attending Farmers Markets ranging from Redlands and Glendora to the San Fernando Valley.

At first, Henderson started out with a Crock Pot to melt caramel and offered only caramel apples and caramel apples with peanuts.

In 2008, Henderson was approached by Costco at the Orange County Marketplace, but she only worked with them for two months.

“I have lived in La Verne for almost 20 years and so I just thought why not open a store in my own hometown,” Henderson said.

Walking around Sinfully Sweet made me feel like a child in a candy store.

Besides apples there were cupcakes, cheesecake, gourmet popcorn, rice crispy treats, chocolate pretzels, chocolate dipped Twinkies and many other treats.

The lollicakes were round, decorated balls of chocolate or yellow cake, drizzled with chocolate and served with peanuts or sprinkles.

Sinfully Sweet will soon offer a blue plate special that will offer a home-cooked lunch entrée served with a side and a drink for $5.

“The most popular item is the Toffee Crunch followed by the Campfire,” Henderson said.

Looking at the Campfire I realized that its roundness was the only resembling factor of an apple that it had.

It is a caramel apple covered in white chocolate, rolled in graham crackers, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows with a lightly roasted marshmallow on top of it.

The Toffee Crunch looked like a delicious miniature chocolate planet.

It was a caramel apple covered in milk chocolate, rolled in heath toffee and intricately drizzled with chocolate.

With more than 50 different apples in front of me, choosing only one felt impossible.

After several minutes I narrowed it down to the Cinnabon, the Elvis, the Oreo, and the New York Cheesecake.

I chose the New York Cheesecake, which was a caramel apple rolled in crushed graham crackers, decorated with white chocolate drizzle and topped with gummy candy.

The first bite tasted like a regular caramel apple. With the second bite I tasted a hint of the cheesecake, and by the third bite I tasted the full flavor of cheesecake.

My mouth was overpowered by the flavor of the apple, the caramel, graham cracker and cheesecake flavor.

I was quite surprised that an apple could actually taste like a slice of cheesecake.

Sinfully Sweet is located on Foothill Blvd. in the Stater Brothers parking lot and they are open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

For more information about Sinfully Sweet, visit sinfullysweetgourmettreats.com.

Michael Phillips can be reached at michael.phillips2@laverne.edu.

Tags: ,