You are here: Home // News // Kevin Marshall focuses on quantum theory

Kevin Marshall focuses on quantum theory

Professor of Law Kevin S. Marshall presented his research proposal for his sabbatical this summer, “Creating and Designing Innovative Space – Entrepreneurship and the Rule of Law,” which explored the relationships between entrepreneurial function, nature, law and management. Marshall joined the La Verne faculty in 2004 and also teaches economics, finance and public policy in the College of Business and Public Management. / photo by Victoria Castaneda

Rachel Creagan

On Monday in the Presi­dent’s Dining Room, Kevin Marshall, professor of law, presented a lecture on creating and maintaining innovative space-entrepreneurship and the rule of law.

“Some of you may have been expecting a lecture on habit evidence, but what I wanted to speak to you about is my sabbatical proposal, which I will be engrossing myself in next June.”

He explained to the audience of approximately 25 faculty members and students how he came upon the topic and the direction he sees himself going; although it is still in the early stage of the proposal.

His revelations came about through readings in quantum physics.

“Although, I do not profess to have a command on quantum physics, I’ve flirted with it enough to be seduced by the philosophical interpleadings of the quantum world.”

Marshall picked up Leon Lederman’s book, “The God Particle,” after hearing Lederman on conspiratorial radio, a nightly routine of his.

He talked about excerpts in the book that connected with him in terms of his worldview from a legal and economic perspective.

“He summarizes the book as a string of infinitely sweet moments of these epiphanies; and I start to have one while I read the first chapter. There are things in nature, the stubbornness of nature that get in the way of these eureka moments.”

Marshall’s sweet moment of clarity came when he read about how only a few different types of atoms come together and create an infinite amount of possibilities.

“I immediately start to see the link between the quantum world and the human world, constantly reorganizing itself. People assemble and exchange ideas, then disassemble. Through the combination of this atomistic behavior, we see this quantum world being lived out by the human condition, ultimately creating better ideas.”

Marshall’s research will attempt to examine the specified relationship from both a theoretical and quantitative perspective.

The theoretical component is interdisciplinary, identifying and organizing the rules of nature, virtue, law and management upon the idea of creating and designing innovative space.

The quantitative component will search for data that measures the models dependent and independent variables and test for significant relationships.

“It seems to me that the critical rule is the rule of law,” Al Clark, vice president for academic affairs said. “The rules of nature are fixed in their own way but it seems to me that the rules of law are double-sided.”

“I think your model is very nice but I’m having trouble with the mention of utopian physics and quantum physics,” Felicia Beardsley, professor of anthropology said.

“They don’t mix, they are like oil and water but your model seems like it could actually lead this 17th century of Newton and move it into the 21st century of quantum…I guess the foundation confuses me.”

“I believe this thing is going to focus mostly on string theory,” Marshall said.

“This is the very first conception, and I have much more reading to do on quantum theory, but I do think that by analogy and metaphor, I’m hoping I’ll find some inspiration with that as well.”

Rachel Creagan can be reached at rachel.creagan@laverne.edu.