You are here: Home // LV Life // Public checks out video games at library

Public checks out video games at library

Brianna Means

People of all ages came to see a 10-year-old battle a 20-year-old in a relaxing, yet competitive, game of “Marvel vs. Capcom” at the video game club.

The city of La Verne library holds video game meetings from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. every Tuesday. The club began in 2005 by children’s librarian Shandra Nelson.

“It started because I like video games and thought it would be fun to bring that to the library for kids to play,” Nelson said.

“So I brought in my own console and games and the club has been in action ever since.”

The club consists of a few young teenagers and one young adult at the library playing away in a relaxed yet energetic environment.

“We provide a variety of games for people to play and we also allow the gamers to bring their own games,” Nelson said.

People can come to the library to play on consoles ranging from Wii and Xbox to PS3.

David Butler, an avid gamer, frequents the club every week. His duties include setting up the PS3 console and bringing games for the players.

Butler has been coming to the La Verne library to challenge himself and others at various video games for the past six years.

“I have been playing video games for the past 19 years, since I was 3 years old,” Butler said.

“I find the club to be useful when I want to learn how to play a new game or I am stuck.”

“The club is a great way to socialize for the kids who participate,” Nelson said.

“They get to hang out with people who share the same interests.”

The club helps gamers interact with other players to learn about new games, moves and techniques.

The club is a way for young people to relax and get to know people in the community that have the same interests.

Brianna Means can be reached at brianna.means@laverne.edu.