You are here: Home // Arts, Etc., Movies, Music // Friday screenings revisit past ages of music

Friday screenings revisit past ages of music

Christina Collins Burton
Managing Editor

Every Friday at 1 p.m. the Morgan Auditorium is turned into a time capsule that, when opened, transports you back in time with music from every era.

Music Movie Fridays, started on Oct. 14, gives audiences a chance to watch movies that take viewers back to a time when music altered cultures.

“I wanted to bring people into the auditorium that might not have spent any time here,” Steve Biondo, music department manager said, “I also wanted to share the great movies we have in the music library.”

To capture the attention of the audiences that attend, the films are projected onto a large screen and the music is fed over the speakers so that viewers can enjoy a theater style setting.

The cool, calm atmosphere is a great way to relax in the middle of a hectic day.

“I used my lunch hour to get away.” Wayne Thurston, senior library assistant said. “It was a nice start to the weekend, I got to kickback and enjoy music.”

The first two films that have been shown are “Woodstock” and “Motown: Ready Set Go”

Both films are rare to see in a public forum.

The original Woodstock documentary talked about the controversy surrounding the three-day concert and Motown was Britain’s first introduction to American music.

“I didn’t realize that apparently that was our introduction to Britain, the Motown music. It reminded me of the British invasion and it was like an American invasion,” Thurston said.

The films offered are both educational and entertaining for audiences.

The selected movies show live recordings as well as cinematic story telling of great artist’s works.

Outside the auditorium, Biondo has set up several films that can be voted on by audience members to show in coming weeks. Titles as young as “Fantasia 2000” have made the cut.

“I love to get feedback but I think its going to take me a while to generate interest.” Biondo said. “I have a little bit of everything, a little jazz, a little rock, a little blues, some classical music so that way people have choices.”

“I like the idea because it helps people who aren’t music majors to get the history of music,” freshman music major Vicky Campos said.

“A lot of the films are rarely seen and they’re bringing in an outside music source to inform you about music.”

Biondo said he is open to consider other films if students or faculty wish to bring in a title to contribute to the event.

The music movie Fridays will be happening every Friday till the end of the semester.

Today check out “This is Spinal Tap” in the Morgan Auditorium at 1 p.m.

If you have any questions concerning future films being shown, email sbiondo@laverne.edu.

Christina Collins Burton can be reached at christina.burton@laverne.edu.

Tags: , , , ,