You are here: Home // Columns, Opinions // Sexuality is not a bandwagon

Sexuality is not a bandwagon

Christina Collins Burton, Editor in Chief

With the amount of vulgarity that families are exposed to on a daily basis in the United States. I can understand that there are entire groups devoted to protecting the family environment.

I salute these groups when they find a cause they can get behind that helps families come closer and stops their breaking apart.

In the case of the organization One Million Moms, however, I think the women really should return to the kitchen.

Recently the organization has taken a stand against JC Penney for the selection of Ellen DeGeneres as their new spokesperson.

Their protest of the decision was not because she is scandalous, vulgar or in the media for all the wrong reasons. OMM is against the selection because DeGeneres is an openly gay woman.

On the group’s facebook page an update that read: “By jumping on the pro-gay bandwagon, JC Penney is attempting to gain a new target market and in the process will lose customers with traditional values…The majority of JC Penney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there.”

This post has since been taken down because of the messages of support their users have put up in favor of DeGeneres’ role as a spokesperson.

The organization’s attempt at gaining support from their fans kind of back-fired on their whole campaign because their members were being accepting instead of agreeing.

There are plenty of wholesome, strong “traditional” women that could be the spokesperson for JC Penney, this is true. However, I see no reason why DeGeneres should have to step down from the position.

Since the beginning of her career as a stand-up comic there is no major scandals orbiting the name “Ellen DeGeneres.”

She has stood firmly by her beliefs for her entire career, and the only time she ever gets wild and crazy is when she attempts to dance on her television show.

I did not realize that trying to shuffle in front of an audience could harm the innocence of our “traditional” families.

I will make sure to not dance in front of my nephews anymore.

OMM’s website also asks its users to call their local JC Penney and request they drop DeGeneres as their spokesperson to remain neutral in the “culture war.” I’m sorry; I did not realize that being intolerant was being neutral.

Now on top of complaining online, active supporters of OMM are complaining in the ears of hundreds of JC Penney employees during business hours.

The organization is claiming the treatment of the probably hundreds of rude callers as insulting. I am sorry, but if I was trying to run a business and had to deal with nonstop phone calls, I would probably let them all go to voicemail too.

Why is Ellen DeGeneres’ romantic life the only thing this group can focus on?

She has had a successful career, a healthy relationship and kept a clean record since stepping into the spotlight.

Besides making a few jokes about the wording of some of the statements made by OMM, DeGeneres also commented on the group’s use of the word “traditional” while talking about their own values.

“Here are the values I stand for: honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping people in need, that’s what I stand for,” DeGeneres said on her television show.

Thankfully, since the group has come forward to JC Penney with their concerns the company continues to stand by the decision of selecting DeGeneres as their spokeswoman.

Honestly, why would you focus on just one aspect of who a person is and stay there? That’s like calling someone beautiful but all you stare at is the back of their knee without ever looking up.

I really hope that acceptance will bloom out of this group and the members of One Million Moms will back off when they realize that there is more to family life than the “long-standing” nuclear family example.

Christina Collins Burton, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by email at christina.burton@laverne.edu.

Tags: , , , ,