You are here: Home // Sports, Weightlifing // David Kain lifts his way to the top

David Kain lifts his way to the top

Sophomore David Kain, movement in sports science major, will compete at the 2012 National University Weightlifting Championship at Louisiana State University in Shreveport on April 13 and 14. Kain will be competing in two Olympic events, the snatch and the clean and jerk. / photo by Scott Mirimanian

Cindy Vallejo

You can see David Kain in class, on the football field and now in the weight room training for weightlifting competitions.

Only a sophomore at the University of La Verne, Kain has won first place in an Olympic weightlifting competition March 17 at the 2012 U.S. Weightlifting Sanction Event Competition at Cal State Fullerton.

Kain competed against seven others in the 170 pound weight class.

Next, he will head to the 2012 University Weightlifting Championship in Louisiana on April 13-14.

“I wasn’t expecting at all to win or expect to place as high. I was just in it for the experience,” Kain said.

Two months ago Kain was approached by Matt Durant, director of strength and conditioning, about considering doing weightlifting competitions.

“Durant saw how good I was at weightlifting and he asked me if I was interested in weight lifting and I said yes,” Kain said.

Soon after that moment, they started to train every day after football strength and conditioning practice and even on the weekends to prepare for the Olympic weightlifting competition.

Kain was competing with others, who had years of training, but Kain proved that hard work and dedication pays off.

Kain lifted more than most in his weightlifting competition section that lead him to placing first in the competition.

“I didn’t know what to expect going into the competition, but David definitely exceeded my expectations,” Durant said.

His success started at Riverside Poly High School where he started to get involved with football in his freshman year. He did basic techniques for weightlifting his junior and senior year in high school, but he said it was not anything too serious.

Kain came to ULV because of the football record. He said he has always been a fan of underdogs and wanted to help make the football team better.

Currently, Kain and Durant are creating an Olympic lifting club for the next fall.

This club would be open to anyone who is interested and committed to be in weightlifting and go to competitions.

Kain enjoys doing weightlifting and he will be continuing it during his time at ULV and even after he graduates.

“I had no intention of getting myself involved with weightlifting, but it is something I am really good at and I want to continue,” Kain said.

Kain wants to graduate with his movement in sports science degree along with a minor in business.

Kain would like to some day open his own gym for children. He wants to work with 8-year-olds to high school students and train them for any sports that they are interested in.

“I was surprised about David’s accomplishment,” head coach football coach Chris Krich said. “This just shows how strong our strength and conditioning program is at ULV.”

Currently, Kain and Durant are looking for sponsors to get Kain to the championships in Louisiana. Because weightlifting is not an NCAA sanctioned intercollegiate sport at La Verne, the athletic department cannot pay for his expenses.

They estimate the total cost to be around $1,500.

Currently, he has one sponsor from Bruxie in Orange County and is still waiting to hear back from other sponsors.

“Weightlifting is something that I am interested in and I am going to stay in it with a positive attitude,” Kain said.

Cindy Vallejo can be reached at cindy.vallejo@laverne.edu.