You are here: Home // Arts, Etc., Fine Art // Seniors’ art culiminates in exhibit

Seniors’ art culiminates in exhibit

Inspired by the work of architect Frank Lloyd Wright, Kayla Gex created three miniature rooms, each with its own theme, like the Guatemala Room, for her senior art show in the Harris Gallery. The Senior Art Exhibition featured the work of seven senior artists, who utilized a variety of media, including film, photography and paint. / photo by Warren Bessant

Cindy Vallejo

Seven seniors from the art department showcased their senior projects to the University of La Verne community Tuesday in the Harris Art Gallery.

“I am very happy and impressed with the senior projects,” said Ruth Trotter, professor of art.

“They all had different projects that they started with at the beginning of the year.”

One of the graduating seniors, Kayla Gex, displayed her artwork titled “Purple Mountain Lane.”

The piece had three different hand-made, miniature rooms: a George Washington room, a Guatemalan room and a Native American room.

Gex wants to be an interior designer and decided to use her artwork as an outlet to show her ethnicity.

Nubia Cardenas Licea was another senior participating in the exhibition.

Her artwork was three different digital textile designs in print.

“I wanted to concentrate on the digital design and incorporate my Mexican culture as well,” Licea said.

She used traditional colors and figures of the Mexican culture in her textile design, but still was able to keep all of her pieces modern.

­Peter Lord showcased his artwork in film. His project had a gray TV monitor displaying figures.

Alumna Caitlin McCarthy displayed her 11 feet tall by 5 feet wide piece on one of the gallery’s walls.

The original piece started off as mere doodles that eventually led to more intricate artwork.

“I worked with figures and facial portraits and it has been something that I have been comfortable with,” McCarthy said.

Alanzo Moreno showcased his chromogenic prints he developed using silver halide emulsion on panels.

Each panel measures 24 inches tall by 36 inches wide.

Moreno used model Nicholas Ivan Fortin for his prints that he selected from a model agency.

He selected Fortin to be his model because he felt that Fortin best fit the series of his art.

Moreno said that many people were mistaking Fortin for Ryan Gosling.

“None of my photos were taken staged,” Moreno said,­ “I wanted to capture the real image without him posing.”

Summer Nasmyth displayed a black dress she had designed. The dress was taken from its typical meaning by ripping and burning it.

“I wanted to show the hardships that women go through,” Nasmyth said. “I am a feminist and so I wanted to portray that.”

Brittany Orduno showcased her artwork that was made from cake fondant, a type of cake icing.

“Cake decorating has been a hobby of mine and I wanted to include that in my piece,” Orduno said.

Orduno was inspired to display her artwork from an Amazon tree, so when the viewer looks at either end of the piece they are looking up at a tree.

“They have been working all of their four years and have achieved the professional level,” Trotter said.

Cindy Vallejo can be reached at cindy.vallejo@laverne.edu.