You are here: Home // News // Tuition increase set for fall

Tuition increase set for fall

Robert Penalber

Despite summer break approaching, students are already worried about the tuition increase scheduled for the 2012-2013 school year.

Last November the Board of Trustees approved the 6.5 percent tuition increase, bringing the total undergraduate cost to $33,400.

“It is traditional to see an annual increase in private organizations,” Treasurer Avo Kechichian said. “The tuition increase means additional staff and faculty to provide resources for all undergraduate students.”

With the increasing tuition, students are hoping the promise for more financial aid will be kept.

“My sister and I both come here, so it’s going to be much harder for my parents to pay for us,” freshman psychology major Jasmine Miranda said. “It makes us want to graduate as soon as possible.”

“The tuition increase is making it harder for people to want a higher, good quality, education because it is becoming less affordable and discouraging many people,” sophomore political science major Valerie Lezin said.

“Traditionally, higher education or privates have funded this through a couple of avenues- one being tuition increases,” Kechichian said. “But this will also mean increasing institutional financial aid as well.”

Earlier in March President Devorah Lieberman announced that financial aid had reached more than $30 million for the 2012-2013 academic year and would be assisting incoming freshmen, undergraduates and transfer students.

“It (financial aid packages) depends on each student,” interim director of financial aid Jason Neal said.

Vice Provost Homa Shabahang said that the total institutional aid available for next year increased nearly 40 percent from three years ago.

University enrollment is also expected to increase next year, an increase of 40 percent from 2008, Shabahang said.

“Raising tuition is not the answer,” junior behavioral science major Sandra Patlan said.

“I’m not happy about it,” junior movement and sports science major Alondra Hernandez said. “School is hard enough to pay for as it is, and with a 6 percent increase in tuition, it will only be more difficult on my parents and I.”

Students want to know what is next for the campus with the new parking lot and the residence hall to be completed this summer.

“I just want to know if I pay more and there’s going to be more faculty and staff, does this mean I’m more likely to get a class now?” Miranda said.

“I think it’s ridiculous and unfair for the tuition to increase even more,” sophomore international business major Frances Perez said. “I think that if they really have to increase it, they should at least give us reasons as to why they’re doing so.”

President Lieberman’s goal is to move forward with the 2020 Vision she set forth during her inauguration, which includes expanding the La Verne experience.

In this goal, it is recognized that the costs of having programs tends to increase.

“It’s sad that education is getting more and more expensive as years pass by,” freshman psychology major Lilit Safaryan said. “ It’s difficult to keep up, but that’s just another bump on our way to be successful in the future.”

Robert Penalber can be reached at robert.penalber@laverne.edu.

Tags: , , , ,