You are here: Home // Columns, LV Life, Opinions // Commentary: No ‘hollerin’ for Honey Boo Boo

Commentary: No ‘hollerin’ for Honey Boo Boo

Christina Collins Burton, Editor in Chief

She’s blonde, considered cute and has way more attitude than any other girls her age. The lime-light is being stolen by 6-year-old Alana Thompson. Better known as “Honey Boo Boo,” Thompson has been gathering popularity since her goofy commentary on “Toddlers in Tiaras.”

Now, when I first heard that TLC was deciding to give Thompson her own spin-off because of her gathered popularity, I ignored it. But after YouTube harasses you with the same commercial every time you go to watch a clip you develop a strong dislike for the topic at hand.

If you have not seen the show, I suggest watching clips of it so you can understand what I do not like about it. This little girl may be cute and funny on her own but I have never wanted to throw my laptop so badly before when I saw her family.

Honey Boo Boo’s family is loud, annoying and, worst of all, playing up a stereotype.

My complaint is not so much that it is a reality television show that is focused around a child, but that the family has no shame and does things on purpose that make themselves look stupid.

Leaving out the constant flow of junk food the family seems to need to breathe, the show pretty much plays up the environment that Alana is being raised in as a positive thing.

Now my family is from the south and while they might use the wrong word sometimes or have a thick accent, I do not recall participating in the red neck games last time we had a family reunion.

The family has been shown cursing at each other, hitting each other and Alana chases her pet pig around in many of the clips that are popular on YouTube.

TLC’s editing has played up the hillbilly stereotype to the max. While the family entered voluntarily into the contract and have said everything they do is unscripted, their actions are questionable.

Neighbors of the Thompson family have been interviewed saying that they grew up in the town and would rather the show end because they do not want to have “Hillbilly” etched into their headstone.

By not holding back and doing everything they can to boost ratings they are adding to the belief that everyone that lives in the Southern states acts exactly like them. Yet June Shannon, Thompson’s mother, still claims that they are just common everyday people.

On top of the random antics this show constantly shows the family doing, there is something that not many of the fans know about the family. They are being grossly underpaid.

The rumor that the family was being paid $2,000 to $3,000 an episode was reported on Huffington Post which means that for their 10 episode first season, the family was paid an estimated 40 grand.

Shannon laughed at the amounts presented to her saying they were paid way more than the estimated amounts but refused to say more.

With reality shows like “Jon & Kate Plus 8,” in which the family received $22,500 per episode, there is the hope that “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” would be paid a little above that seeing as it has gathered more than three million viewers from all over the world.

I do not, and will never like this show. I believe that all they are doing is dragging their own names through the mud and setting back years of breaking stereotypes for the rest of the South.

Plus there is not any redeeming quality that could make this show not a waste of time. Unless of course you need to see how to do an appropriate belly-flop into a mud puddle, I suggest steering clear of the episodes.

Christina Collins Burton, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by email at christina.burton@laverne.edu.