You are here: Home // LV Life // iPhone 5 piques student interest

iPhone 5 piques student interest

Alec Young texts his girlfriend on his iPhone as he waits for his first class of the day to begin, while Sean Kusick talks with a fellow track teammate about the NCAA compliance meeting they just attended outside on the patio by Barbara’s Place. The invention of the iPhone changed handheld phones from voice contact devices to full-fledged miniature computers. / Jessica Harsen

Alec Young texts his girlfriend on his iPhone as he waits for his first class of the day to begin, while Sean Kusick talks with a fellow track teammate about the NCAA compliance meeting they just attended outside on the patio by Barbara’s Place. The invention of the iPhone changed handheld phones from voice contact devices to full-fledged miniature computers. / photo by Jessica Harsen

Robert Penalber
News Editor

As part of a tech-savvy generation, students are excited for Apple’s long-awaited iPhone 5, which will be released Friday after months of speculation.

The announcement came Sept. 12 as Apple CEO Tim Cook detailed new features on the phone along with a lineup of new Apple products set for release during the fourth quarter for the fiscal year.

“I’ve been waiting since August when my contract was up so that I could upgrade to the new iPhone,” sophomore psychology major Jasmine Miranda said. “I’ll be staying up until midnight to pre-order it.”

“When my plan goes up in February I’m getting the (iPhone) 5,” junior psychology major Rebecca Kennedy said.

Apple opened its site to iPhone pre-orders at midnight Sept. 14, but was sold out within just one hour.

Delays for shipment have an estimated shipment date of two to three weeks in addition to the wait for the release date.

But, as with any new technology release, some students are waiting to upgrade their iPhones until after the bugs are worked out.

“I might wait a little bit see what the reviews are and what people have to say about it, because most likely Apple is already cooking up a better and faster version,” senior psychology major Mario Bautista said.

“I’ve had (my iPhone) for three months so I’m not going to upgrade because I just got it,” senior psychology major Anastasia Muratalla said.

Still, tech analysts are expecting the demand for the new smartphone to last for weeks, with sales paling in comparison to the past iPhones.

The trend-turned-phenomenon has easily defeated competitors as top contender for smartphones as it introduces new features.

“I like how easy it is to use and doesn’t bug out like Android phones I’ve had,” senior biology major Sandra Patlan said.

Rumored images of the new smartphone and its features swirled online months before the announcement.

Some of these features that proved true include a 4-inch retina display screen, a new dock connector, a faster processor and LTE for an increased data speed.

“I have all my necessities on here, especially my music,” Muratalla said.

“A great feature is Facetime, which is way better than any other video calling app. Being able to video chat with family and friends without using a laptop is amazing,” Bautista said.

Being able to combine a great music player and a cell phone is the reason for the iPhone’s continued success, Bautista said.

“I’m most excited for the retina display,” Miranda said. “I’m also going be having Siri do everything for me.”

Apple’s Siri, the virtual assistant app on the smartphone, will be able to post status updates to Facebook, keep track of sports scores and will be fluent in even more languages with the new iOS 6 software.

Despite any criticism about the new smartphone, demand is at an all time historic high.

For those eligible for an upgrade, the new iPhone will start at $199. The full retail price starts at $649 and is available through cell phone carriers Sprint, Verizon and AT&T.

Robert Penalber can be reached at robert.penalber@laverne.edu.