The 90th annual Los Angeles County Fair opened on Labor Day weekend and will run every Wednesday through Sunday until the end of September. Here are some of the highlights this weekend.
• Visit the Rawhide Dude Ranch and learn how to make rope, visit with the cook or try to rope a steer all day.
• There will be a show of Chinese acrobats, balancing acts and martial arts at 1:30 p.m. in Esmeralda’s Big Top Theatre.
• Join the Rheinlanders for a traditional Oktoberfest celebration with live music and interactive participation at 3 p.m.
• The fastest racing pigs in North America for an Oreo cookie at 7:30 p.m. in Thummer’s Entertainment Barn.
• Guests can taste award-winning samples from the fair’s commercial beer competition at the Beer Tavern all day in the fairgrounds.
• Guests can get a sneak peek of the upcoming Oktoberfest that Fairplex will be hosting in October all day. Enjoy beer, brats and culture at this pre-celebration of the German holiday.
• Fair guests will be treated to a special meet-n-greet with Benjamin Franklin at 12 p.m. During this time guests may ask Mr. Franklin whatever questions they may have.
• Watch the Great American Wild West Show at 8:30 p.m. at Western Days & Rodeo Nights and watch the fast-paced show featuring wagon races, trick riders and a six-horse stage coach.
• Mariachi USA Fiesta will be celebrating its 12th annual concert at the fair. After the show there will be a fireworks show celebrating Mexican Independence day.
• Guests will be able to take part in a log rolling school. For a small fee they will be able to roll with the best of them. The event will be held from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Wilderness Range.
• Fair guests will be able to learn about bears and their natural habitat while enjoying a show full of tricks. It will be held at noon at the Wilderness Ridge.
• Guests will be able to visit a 17,000 gallon display of salt water with various sea creatures along with an 8-foot waterfall.