You are here: Home // Arts, Etc. // Verbal warfare from student voices

Verbal warfare from student voices

Amber J. Guadez

The Very Intellectual Poets and the Black Student Union collaborated to host an open mic showcase that focused on the topic of Political Warfare with the presidential election right around the corner.

Two professional spoken word artists were featured and invited to perform, David Romero and Matt Sedillo, as well as Judah 1.

“I thought it was a great experience for students to see political views and understand each other,” president of VIP and SLAM Team member Myron Woods said.

About 50 students in the audience indulged in free food and drinks while listening to the creative words spoken by their peers.

Before the performance, much of the audience was unaware of what to expect. Some were poetry enthusiasts, others came to support their friends.

“I had the chance to get samples from the performers and it got me excited to see them do their thing live,” Salinger Morales, sophomore philosophy major said.

“I don’t like poetry that much, but I appreciate the work and care that goes into it by my peers,” Morales said.

Moral expectations are always expected of the artists.

“Keep it honest,” Morales said.

Matt Sedillo a two time national SLAM artist holds poetry dear to him.

“I see it as a vehicle to influence people around to make change,” Sedillo said.

Even though he can not change the world with his bare hands he could at least encourage people how to view things critically.

As the songs of Frank Ocean played in the background as the audience awaited the first artist of the night, Eric Espinoza, junior movement sports science major, took the microphone and opened with a bit of his own spoken word.

“Allow myself to express myself through poetry,” said Espinoza.

Then the mic was open to anyone wanting to share or perform their spoken word or even share their musical talent.

A musician playing the saxophone even stepped onto the stage.

For those who aren’t too familiar with spoken word events, snaps are the norm as opposed to claps.

Every time the audience heard a line said by a performer that they agreed upon, felt was powerful or could relate to, they would snap.

Political issue performers spoke about culture, female empowerment, pre-judgmental treatment by society and financial aid.

Kimberly White, sophomore athletic training major, had never shared her spoken word before.

“This was my first time ever and I didn’t expect it,” White said.

Little did she know, she was one of the few open mic performers that received one of the biggest praise for talking about how men view women and the need for more respect towards women.

Woods then took the stage and performed a humorous piece about his serious matter about needing financial aid. The room was filled with laughter throughout his entire performance.

“My blood type is O and so are my funds,” said Woods.

“Expect big things in the future, open mics, creative workshops and embark on a creative expedition,” Woods said.

Amber J. Guadez can be reached at amber.guadez@laverne.edu.