You are here: Home // Letters to the Editor, Opinions // Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

I realize that the last thing people want to hear any more about is the parking situation. I do not have an answer to the problem, but I have some minor suggestions that might make things a little easier. As a former student, current employee and local resident, I offer a unique point of view.

I absolutely love living in a college town. I love everything about it. I accept that parking will be hard to find. That is part of the sacrifice I make by choosing to live so close to a university. However, the fact that me and my guest cannot park in front of my house is really not the problem. The problem is the lack of respect that the students and employees show when they park their vehicles. People with loud music will park in front of my house and leave their stereo on while they prepare for their day. Students will change clothes out of their trunk right outside my front door. I come home to trash in my yard every day; banana peels, fast food wrappers, candy wrappers, notebook paper.

I think that if the employees and students parking in the surrounding neighborhoods would show a little more common courtesy, there would be less tension with the local residents. Anybody should have the right to park anywhere on a public street. That does not give you the right to be rude and litter. Consider how you may feel if you lived on “A” or “E” street. If you can try to be a little more understanding of the locals and their feelings, I think you might stop getting dirty looks when you park your car. Thank you, and may the parking gods bless you with a space.

John J Gilmore
Administrative Aide
College of Education and Organizational Leadership

Tags: ,