You are here: Home // Arts, Etc., Music // Country gets its turn in the Lavernapalooza spotlight

Country gets its turn in the Lavernapalooza spotlight

Karla Rendon

LaVernapalooza is an annual concert event that offers students the chance to see their favorite artists perform.

Past concerts have each been different by having groups of diverse musical genres.

Previous acts included Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, LMFAO and J. Cole.

But on Jan. 16, the ASULV Facebook page surprised students by announcing that the 4th annual LaVernapalooza will be “going country.”

With 64 likes on a status that read, “LaVernapalooza 2013 is going COUNTRY!!!! Who would you like to see?,” there were over 80 comments filled with recommendations by students.

While many students were shocked by the announcement, others gladly suggested artists for the event such as David Allan Coe, Luke Bryan and Taylor Swift. Diverging from country singers, students began to suggest folk bands too, like The Lumineers and Mumford & Sons.

“It’s kind of an odd topic considering this genre for a less conservative school,” freshman physics major Andrew Rodriguez said.

“I don’t know too many people that are fond of country, but because of its nature regardless of the theme, it’ll attract a lot of people.”

“I wasn’t surprised but I don’t mind. I like any music except polka,” freshman undeclared major Sean Thompson.

Keeping up with the tradition of diversity, ASULV decided to have a country concert. Although the country theme seems like a strange choice for this year’s concert, many students are looking forward to the music festival.

“I’m excited because I’m a big fan of music,” freshman biology major Gursharn Singh said.

Singh would like to see Taylor Swift perform at LaVernapalooza. “I like that one song, ‘I Knew You Were Trouble’.”

“I think it’s good that they are adding variety. Country doesn’t get recognition and there’s a lot of good country music,” freshman undeclared major Hannah Del Castillo said.

While some students are eager for the concert, others have already decided not to attend.

“I’ll think about going but it’s mostly a no,” freshman biology major Jovanny Mercado said.

“Some hip-hop or party music would’ve been better. Previous years it’s been hip-hop or alternative, so it’s out of nowhere.”

“Personally I’m not from the country so I’m definitely not into the country scene,” freshman theater major Stefan Celeketic said.

“I would have been happier with LMFAO or something. I’d even be fine with pop, rock or house. Before they announced it was country, there were rumors that Macklemore would play.”

Although ASULV announced LaVernapalooza as a country concert this year, ASULV president and political science and economics major, Ava Jahanvash, explained why that genre was chosen.

“In the past years we’ve had rock and LMFAO but we want other genres that haven’t been touched,” Jahanvash said.

In addition to this explanation, Jahanvash also said that they will be having an announcement party in the next month and that country is not a sure genre.

Karla Rendon can be reached at karla.rendon@laverne.edu.