At approximately 1 p.m. Monday, Wilson Library was evacuated due to a fire alarm being set off.
The disturbance was identified as a false alarm due to a portable white board hitting a smoke detector in one of the library hallways.
Though the situation was under control and everyone was let back into the building shortly after, the inconvenience could have been avoided.
The white board that set off the alarm was being taken to a room in the library that has never before been used as a classroom and is now a revolving door for classes as a result of the University’s need for class space.
Wane Thurston, the library’s daytime circulation desk supervisor, said that it is an inconvenience to have these classes in a room they were not meant for.
He also said that this was not the first time he saw the white boards hit the smoke detector but is the first time it set off the alarm.
Thurston suggested using another entrance to avoid future problems.