You are here: Home // News // LV publications left in good hands

LV publications left in good hands

Junior Journalism Major Christian Orozco is editor-in-chief of the Campus Times; and Senior Journalism Major Alex Forbess is editor-in-chief of La Verne Magazine this semester. Orozco is a big Oakland Raiders fan and an In-N-Out enthusiast. Forbess is a star cross-country runner, who loves to cook and bake. It is the first time for both men serving as editors in chief. / photo by Zachary Horton

Katie Madden
Arts Editor

Junior journalism major Christian Orozco will take over as the new editor in chief of the Campus Times for the spring 2013 semester,

and senior journalism major Alex Forbess will serve as the editor in chief for La Verne Magazine in spring.

Orozco and Forbess look forward to bringing their new perspectives to the University’s publications this semester.

“I hope to make the Campus Times fun, but I also hope to keep it the same quality it has been the past semesters I have been on it,” Orozco said.

“I want to do it my own way, I want to get more personal with all the stories and I want to make sure that I read and edit them all.”

This is Orozco’s fourth semester with the Campus Times.

He began as a staff writer, and exclusively wrote sports stories, prompting him to become the sports editor for the next two semesters.

It was during his time as an editor that he realized he wanted to take on more serious stories.

“I just really want to get my voice out there.” Orozco said. “I have a lot to say, but I also have a lot to learn.”

“I hope to learn how to deal with people and problem solving better and I also hope to just become a better writer all around.”

Orozco still manages to find ways to relax.

He enjoys listening to music, playing the bass, cheering for the Oakland Raiders and watching shows on Netflix.

Elizabeth Zwerling, adviser for the Campus Times and associate professor of journalism, is optimistic about the new team of editors and feels that Orozco has stayed humble and relatable.

“I feel that Christian will be a good leader,” Zwerling said.

“He’s well-liked by the staff, he’s organized, hardworking and has a good sense of humor. I am looking forward to working with this group of editors with him at the helm.”

Last semester’s editor in chief, senior journalism major Christina Collins Burton, is also confident in Orozco’s abilities as an editor.

“He knows what needs to be done to really help the paper so it can continue moving along at the same pace it was before,” Burton said.

The Campus Times is experiencing more than editor changes this semester.

The paper will now feature three new sub-sections including metro news that will cover the La Verne and San Dimas communities, food and nutrition and books.

These sections will be spear-headed as the senior projects of three Campus Times editors.

La Verne Magazine will also face changes this semester with several new staff writers and Forbess in command.

“Right now we’re coming up with story ideas and we’re really excited to get things started for this next publication,” Forbess said.

“People will not be disappointed with our next issue.”

Forbess served as a staff writer, editorial director and is the current food editor for the Campus Times.

This is his second and final semester with the magazine.

“When I first started writing I was pretty nervous, like anyone else was, but when I started writing more and getting more sources I really got used to it and I enjoyed it,” Forbess said.

“It’s amazing how much experience I got in such a short amount of time.”

Despite Forbess’ busy schedule, he likes to keep some free time to himself.

He enjoys long-distance running and cooking new dishes for his family and friends to try.

“I have confidence that Alex is the right man for the job,” said Lauren Creiman, sophomore journalism and speech communication major and last semester’s La Verne Magazine editor-in-chief.

“He was an excellent staff writer and I have no doubt he’ll be an excellent editor as well.”

La Verne Magazine Faculty Adviser and Professor of Journalism George Keeler said that Forbess is the perfect choice for the position.

“Alex brings leadership and a keen intellect,” Keeler said. “He is a superb writer and he understands that we have a lot of pride in La Verne Magazine; that it’s a national award winning publication, it has a rich tradition and that it has a leadership position in the community. He’s going to keep us at that level and take us beyond to new heights of excellence.”

Katie Madden can be reached at kaitlin.madden@laverne.edu.