You are here: Home // Greek Life, LV Life // Students get a kick out of helping

Students get a kick out of helping

Junior psychology major Brianna Romero defends the ball from freshman health science major Jackie Selva at Phi Sigma Sigma’s Kicks for Kidneys event March 7 at the Frantz Athletic Court. The money raised will go to the Phi Sigma Sigma foundation, which benefits the National Kidney Foundation. / photo by Stephanie Ball

Monica Dien

Loud cheering and music filled the Athletes Pavilion as Phi Sigma Sigma hosted their annual Kicks for Kidneys fundraiser March 7.

The fundraiser featured an indoor soccer tournament where teams of five to six players could compete for a spot in the finals and a chance to win the nights event.

The event raised a total of $386, topping the $342 raised at last year’s event.

“This event had so many people which made it memorable for me,” Christine Camacho, philanthropy chair and junior sociology major said.

“Normally Kicks for Kidneys doesn’t bring in a big crowd and this year was so different,” she said.

Students who wanted to play donated $2 at the door and those who attended donated $1.

In addition to the donations, the sorority also held a snack table selling chips, beverages, and instant noodles.

“I love Phi Sigma Sigma and I love soccer so that added more fun to playing,” Michael Stewart, junior speech communications major said.

Those who were not able to play that night still came in support of the fundraiser.

“I wanted to support the other clubs on campus and watch the event,” Kimberley White, sophomore athletic training major said.

White, who donned a leg brace that night, was unable to play but sat amongst the other attendees near the sidelines as she watched the tournament and cheered.

“If it weren’t for my brace I would of have a team out there,” White said.

Those not interested in playing still attended and enjoyed the night’s events buying snacks and socializing.

“I’m not really into soccer but I came to support the cause,” Myles Green, junior movement and sports science major said.

“I had a good time and it was just pretty cool talking and socializing there,” Green said.

A total of 12 teams played against each other that night as each vied for the finals round to victory.

The indoor tournament held two simultaneous games at once where winners eventually advanced to the final round.

The D Team took home the win for the night and received prize bags filled with a reusable University of La Verne water bottle, Gatorade, snacks and soccer goodies that matched the nights festivities.

The team also got their picture taken and will be featured on Phi Sigma Sigma’s website.

The event raised awareness and money for the philanthropy in addition to life long skills.

“It really encouraged school spirit for a good cause,” Brittany Boiko, Phi Sigma Sigma member and junior speech communication major, said. “I realized that my sisters are really supportive of each other.”

All proceeds raised at the event goes to Phi Sigma Sigma’s philanthropy, the Phi Sigma Sigma foundation which benefits the National Kidney Foundation.

“All the people coming up to me saying that (the turnout was huge) meant a lot to the me,” Camacho said.

Monica Dien can be reached at monica.dien@laverne.edu.