You are here: Home // Arts, Etc., Music // Young musicians display sophisticated talent

Young musicians display sophisticated talent

Classically trained violinist and singer Daniel Alvarez performs Violin Sonata No. 6 in D Major by Erich Wolfgang Korngold on Sunday in a concert featuring music from the early 20th century. He has been studying music for most of his life and is currently working on a teaching credential at La Sierra University in hopes of becoming a choral conductor. / photo by Chelsea Knight

Karla Rendon

Pianos spoke, violins cried and an audience of 40 clapped with enthusiasm as the Chamber Music Concert Sunday in Morgan Auditorium.

“I thought it was wonderful,” said Rick Enriquez, casting director for the “Conan” show who was there to support one of the performers. “The talent of these musicians and vocalists are outstanding, especially for people so young.”

There were 10 individual performances throughout the show. The concert consisted of two vocalists, a pianist, a guitarist, a violinist and a clarinetist.

Many songs included compositions by Roger Quilter, Hector Villa-Lobos, Augustin Barrios Mangore and more.

“It’s incredible,” said Sarah Gonzalez, a student at San Dimas High School. “The tenor, Michael Fausto, never stops impressing me.”

Fausto is a ULV alumnus who received his bachelor’s degree in music with a concentration on vocal performance in 2011.

“I love Morgan Auditorium,” Fausto said. “I went to school here before the renovations so it’s a big difference, the acoustics here are much better than they were before.”

Before Fausto performs on stage, he has a ritual that he practices to get him warmed up.

“I eat something spicy to warm up my vocal cords and body and I drink lots of water and meditate,” Fausto said. “I’m nervous up until I’m on stage.”

While Fausto charmed the audience with his vocal range, another singer also captivated the audience.

Soprano Mikaela Elson stunned the guests with her high pitched voice.

“The range in her voice was amazing,” Janet Chavez said. “She seems really engaged with the music and very passionate.”

Another supporter of Elson was her uncle, Dimitri Washington.

“I’ve seen my niece perform numerous times but I’m always excited to see,” Washington said. “Each time I see her she gets better and better.”

Elson began singing during her junior year of high school.

“I was always shy to sing in front of people but one of my teachers pushed me to pursue singing”, Elson said. “Now I feel comfortable on stage. I try to pretend I’m the character I portray.”

Elson said her goal when she is on stage is to make the audience happy.

“At the end of the day, if I put a smile at the audience’s faces, then it feels like I’m doing something right,” Elson said.”

“It feels like I’ve accomplished something because all I’ve ever wanted to do is pursue music and express my love for it and how much it means to me,” Elson said.

Karla Rendon can be reached at karla.rendon@laverne.edu.