You are here: Home // Arts, Etc., LV Life, Music // Mu Phi crowns Navarro 2013 LV Idol winner

Mu Phi crowns Navarro 2013 LV Idol winner

Christian Garay

Mu Phi Epsilon concluded its third annual La Verne Idol competition Thursday night naming freshman Alyssa Navarro winner.

At the beginning of the night there were five finalists joining Navarro – junior theatre major Sierra Taylor, freshman biology major Sarah Alonzo, junior liberal studies major Melissa Molinaro and freshman music and behavioral science major Bradlee Johnson.

This year’s prizes included Navarro’s name on the La Verne Idol winners plaque, a $150 check, an originally composed song for them through Mu Phi and five hours of studio time to record the original piece or a song they want to record.

“I think it’s a great event and this being my second year judging I can really see the growth, there’s some really fabulous talent,” said James Calhoun.

In the first round the contestants started off by singing songs from past American Idol winners that are randomly drawn from a hat.

Taylor started off the show with her rendition of “And I’m Telling You” from Dreamgirls and instantly set the bar high.

Taylor had a nervous start but eventually found her voice and stunned the audience.

Johnson’s confident cover of Phillip Phillips’ “Home” kept the bar high and won over the crowd.

“The level of talent is really quite amazing, it shows what La Verne has to offer,” said Calhoun.

The second round had contestants sing songs of their choice.

All of the competitors came out of their shell and made the stage their own.

The crowd was amazed with Molinaro’s cover of “Gravity” and Navarro’s powerful “I Will Always Love You.”

When all was said and done it was the audience that had to make the final decision by texting in their choice as winner.

Navarro came out on top winning first place.

“It was an amazing experience to be able to perform on stage before the University,” Navarro, a communications major, said.

“I never thought that as a freshman I would see myself experiencing such an incredible opportunity,” Navarro said.

The night ended off with all the contestants singing “Some Nights” by Fun. allowing the crowd to join in for the final song of the night.

“I think that the event was executed well and that it is refreshing to see so many students supporting our classmates,” said Allison Wehner, a sophomore legal studies major.

For anyone who missed the La Verne Idol performance there will be a encore at 10 p.m. April 23 in Morgan Auditorium. Students are free with their IDs and guests are $5.

Christian Garay can be reached at christian.garay@laverene.edu.