You are here: Home // LV Life // Fair goers indulge in flavorful and fried fare

Fair goers indulge in flavorful and fried fare

Senior multimedia major Christopher Pulu went to the Los Angeles County Fair Saturday. After looking at all the food stands around the fair, – which offered everything from bacon covered donuts to fresh produce – Pulu decided on Ten Pound Buns. Ten Pound Buns features  pieces of toast with a variety of toppings. Pulu chose the European Bun with cheese, tomatoes, onions and garlic. / photo by Ryan Gann

Senior multimedia major Christopher Pulu went to the Los Angeles County Fair Saturday. After looking at all the food stands around the fair, – which offered everything from bacon covered donuts to fresh produce – Pulu decided on Ten Pound Buns. Ten Pound Buns features pieces of toast with a variety of toppings. Pulu chose the European Bun with cheese, tomatoes, onions and garlic. / photo by Ryan Gann

Veronica Orozco
Metro Editor

As eagerly awaiting fair-goers funnel into the Fairplex for the annual Los Angeles County Fair, visitors are hit with waves of scents ranging from sweet and tangy to deep-fried and chocolatey.

“It all smells so good, I don’t know what I want to eat,” said Glendora resident Mark Rivas.

The fair has all bases covered when it comes to variety. Certain areas contained food trucks dispensing ice cream and crepes while others had stands selling everything from burgers to frog’s legs.

“I’ve never really wanted to try some of this stuff but my son thinks it would be fun,” said Pomona resident Marie Contreras who was accompanied by her son and daughter.

“It’s hard to pick what to get when everything is something I wouldn’t want to try.”

The fair also seems to have created a melting pot of cultures providing food from various backgrounds such as tacos and tamales for Mexican food and jambalaya and crawfish for Cajun food.

“There are a lot of places here that I can try anywhere, like King Taco, when I come here I want to try things that I can’t get everyday,” said Pomona resident Jose Ramirez who was enjoying a turkey leg with his family.

Some of the more unique foods at the fair were of the fried variety.

It seemed like anything could be fried and tried, for a small fee of course.

Fried Twinkies, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Snickers were all on the menu but fried Oreos seemed to be the most popular.

The famous cookie is dipped in batter then submerged in oil only to be taken out and smothered in chocolate sauce and sprinkles.

The tasty treat makes for an unusual buy and an even more interesting taste.

Biting into one is an adventure of its own and an unexpected surprise when the person finds that the cookie has now turned into a soft chocolate filling.

“My favorite is the fried Twinkie, I get it every time I come,” Rivas said.

“My wife said it’s the only reason we got season passes and probably the reason why I’m going to have to go to the doctor after this.”

A common theme and favorite at the fair seemed to be bacon.

A good portion of the stands at the fair had at least one product that included the salty treat.

Products included bacon covered in chocolate, bacon donuts, bacon and Nutella on sourdough garlic bread, bacon wrapped pickles and even bacon cotton candy.

“It’s fun to see my kids enjoy themselves and it’s always good to try new things, even if it doesn’t turn out that great,” Ramirez said.

Veronica Orozco can be reached at veronica.orozco@laverne.edu.

Tags: , , , , ,