You are here: Home // Letters to the Editor, Opinions // Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

I just wanted to thank the Campus Times, especially Christian Orozco, for the article last Friday (“Kennan fights for justice,” Oct. 11). I only hope that some people will read it and become involved in one or more of the many causes we need to fight for right now: Veteran’s benefits, LGBT rights, women’s rights, voting rights, raising the minimum wage, supporting organizations such as Not Forgotten and Habitat for Humanity to help those who have been victims of disasters, and the plight of the homeless. We also need to fight against the Citizens United ruling, gerrymandering (which is very thinly disguised racism), the push to ignore the Constitution, which specifically guarantees the separation of Church and State, cuts to education, the push to abolish unions and the NRA’s stranglehold on our political process regarding reasonable gun laws.

The most important election of my lifetime is coming in 2014; we need to educate ourselves regarding the issues and vote with our hearts, not our pre-programmed ideology. I don’t want to see this country I love be the separated, hateful nation it currently is. We all have serious decisions to make regarding what we want the United States to become; we need to evolve, not devolve.

My heroes are Dr. King, Fannie Lou Hamer, Medgar Evers, Geronimo, Henry David Thoreau, my father and the thousands of others who fought for equality and honor in our nation; who are your heroes? What do they stand for? And what are you doing to honor their legacy?

Dan Kennan
Adjunct Professor of Sociology