You are here: Home // Soccer, Sports // Soccer unable to pluck Sagehens

Soccer unable to pluck Sagehens

In the first half Saturday, junior midfielder Jaime Weaver drives down the field toward Pomona-Pitzer’s goal as Sagehens midfielder Allie Tao tries to steal the ball. The game ended with a 4-1 loss for La Verne. / photo by Stephanie Ball

Kat Simonelli
Assistant Editor

The women’s soccer team lost 4-1 to Pomona-Pitzer Saturday at Ortmayer Stadium leaving the Leopards in fifth place in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Con­ference.

Pomona-Pitzer dominated the first and most of the second half of the game scoring four times without an answer from the Leopards until the last 20 seconds of the game.

“Compared to previous games I don’t think they played to the potential that is within them,” head coach Lauryn Pehanich said. “I think we were very individual until probably the last 20-25 minutes of the game.”

In the 36th minute, Pomona-Pitzer senior midfielder Allie Tao was able to score from inside the box with an assist from forward Danika Bethune who passed her the ball from the outside corner.

“I think we played really slow today and it just took us awhile to pick up our pace,” senior midfielder Marisella Macias said. “It was a little disappointing because I know we have a lot more in us,”

With only 20 seconds left on the clock, senior defender Katie Careaga sent the ball whistling past Pomona-Pitzer goalkeeper Annie Wedel to put La Verne on the board. It was Careaga’s fourth goal of the season.

Junior La Verne keeper Delanie Pacheco made six saves in the game including one in the first minute of the second half when Tao took a shot on goal that Pacheco was able to knock out just wide enough for a corner kick where Pomona-Pitzer’s Amanda Coba ended up scoring.

“It’s a little frustrating when you have a good save and the next play later they score, but it’s just kind of the way it goes. It gets to me, but you just have to let it go because it’s a long game,” Pacheco said.

During the second half of the game, the Leopards were left with a lot of missed scoring opportunities as they had 15 shots taken, but only one goal by the end of the game.

“This is actually the first time in a really long time this program has had a shot to make it to the SCIAC tournament, so I think in the beginning we were doing phenomenal,” senior midfielder Christine Camacho said. “Right now we’re kind of in a dip and we need to get ourselves out of it.”

“I think the biggest thing that I’m going to push onto them this week is coming into the game with the mentality of being down a goal, or with the mentality of already losing,” Pehanich said. “I think they do a very good job of responding to being scored upon, but I don’t think from the initial get go. We don’t necessarily come out and attack, we wait for people to attack us and then respond to their attacking, I want to be the first ones, I want to get going first.”

The women also suffered a 2-1 loss to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Wednesday.

With the loss, La Verne has a 6-8-1 record on the season and a 3-5-1 record in SCIAC play. The women’s next game will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Claremont-Mudd Scripps.

Kat Simonelli can be reached at kathryn.simonelli@laverne.edu.