You are here: Home // Arts, Etc., Music // First person experience: Mayday Parade concert is a night to remember

First person experience: Mayday Parade concert is a night to remember

Alison Rodriguez

“And I swear that you don’t have to go…”

Those words will be forever echoing in my ears after last night – the night I had been waiting over four months for, the night that was filled with bright lights, loud music and screaming fans. The night I saw Mayday Parade.

Mayday Parade is a pop punk band that formed in 2005 that originates from Tallahassee, Fla. They have toured all over the US and played in festivals such as Van’s Warped Tour.

Last Thursday I had the chance to see them perform at the House of Blues in Anaheim.

My friend and I had snagged VIP tickets way back in July, so needless to say, we were stoked to be finally able to go. With the ticket, we got first access to the venue, a t-shirt, water bottle, poster and the opportunity to meet the band members.

My first impression upon arriving at the site was how generic all of the concertgoers looked. Everyone had the same attire – black band shirt, black jeans or tights, black combat boots, excessive bracelets and colored hair. For individuals who claim to express originality, it was entertaining to me how uniform they were.

After waiting a bit, a large bodyguard took the small group of us who had VIP wristbands upstairs onto a large balcony to meet the band members. This part didn’t go exactly how I planned it.

I can honestly tell you I am a completely clumsy in front of famous people. I was dropping my merchandise everywhere and tripping over things, but they were really nice about it.

“You’ll be just fine, as long as you don’t go taking any shrooms into the pit,” drummer Jake Bundrick said.

The bodyguard then took us downstairs into the venue, and from there it was a mad rush to the barricade to get the best spot in front. My friend and I ended up on the barricade right in front of the stage, so we were set.

Then it started. The whole room was filled with such a loud and vibrant sound that you could feel the bass vibrating throughout your whole body. Lights flashed and smoke filled the stage, and the crowd roared with excitement.

Mayday Parade started the night off with the song “Ghosts” off of their new album “Monsters In The Closet.” They then played more upbeat songs like “Jamie All Over,” “Girls” and “When You See My Friends.”

The night took a solemn turn when lead singer Derek Sanders pulled out a piano and played “Miserable At Best,” which then lead into “Stay.” The crowd swayed to the music and sang out as loud as they could.

The night ended with Sanders breaking out his first song ever written, “Three Cheers For Five Years.” After leaving the stage, the crowd begged for more, stomping and screaming out their name.

After a few suspenseful minutes, the band walked back onto the stage and played one last song, “The Last Something That Meant Anything.” It was at this point when the entire crowd was joined into one body, all moving together in synch and singing out the words.

I can honestly say that this was a night worth the wait. The band sounded just as good live as they do on recordings, and their showmanship was superb.

If you ever get the chance to see them, I highly suggest you go. It’ll be a night to remember.

Alison Rodriguez can be reached at alison.rodriguez2@laverne.edu.

Tags: , , , ,