You are here: Home // Arts, Etc. // First person experience: Rob Zombie brings fear and fun

First person experience: Rob Zombie brings fear and fun

Bass-heavy electronic music producer and DJ Zomboy fills the Fairplex with heart pounding rhythm as the crowd dances at Rob Zombie’s “Great American Nightmare” Oct. 25. Nightly concerts featured music ranging from heavy metal to electronic dance. / photo by Hunter Cole

Jolene Nacapuy

As a broke college student, you want to find something fun to do, but at a cheap price.

October is a fun month because of Halloween. Students want to find things to do such as dress up, go to parties or maybe even go to Universal Studios for Horror Nights. But at the same time, you do not want to pay so much or go so far.

Now a Halloween event has come to the rescue. If you are looking for a scare that is close to the University of La Verne, I recommend Rob Zombie’s Great American Nightmare at the Fairplex in Pomona.

This event contains three haunted houses, a maze with three-dimensional animations, food trucks, booths and a concert.

“I’ve been here for about an hour and I already feel scared,” said freshman business administration major Gianmarco Galati. “There’s a lot of weird and freaky stuff here.”

As I entered the event, there were smoke machines at every corner, giving the place a foggy and sketchy look.

I was minding my own business when scary actors popped out of nowhere like ninjas, scaring me, and I almost dropped my pen and notes. They followed my every move and were very close to my face. It made me regret going alone.

One of the interesting sideshows was the human freak show, specifically the one by Darin “Dangerous” Malfi.

He allowed the audience, as well as myself, to staple money to his stomach. I felt scared stapling money to him because I did not want to hurt him, but he said that it was okay. It was a scary experience because I felt the pain for him. For $20, Malfi let you staple the bill to his head.

He also stuck a mousetrap on his tongue four times for the audiences’ enjoyment.

The more they would scream and squirm, the more he would hurt himself.

It sounds awful, but the audience enjoyed it.

“I love the shocked look on people’s faces, and so that’s the reason I do this,” Malfi said. “People enjoy these type of weird things.”

There were booths for adults that featured provocative shirts and even a brand new whiskey company from San Diego called Coldcock Whiskey.

“We work for top athletes and artists, and this is good publicity for us,” said Chad Lindstrom, who worked for the Coldcock Whiskey booth.

“You are able to taste this whiskey here first, so it’s pretty cool.”

I found this event quite creepy and scary within the first five minutes I walked in, but Nikki Shields, an attendee from San Gabriel, did not think so.

“I don’t scare that easily, but I feel Universal Studios is a little better than this,” said Shields, who was enjoying this event with some of her friends.

“The bands here aren’t that common, so I thought that was cool,” she said.

A concert inside one of the buildings was structured like a rave that all could attend. Various artists like Eagles of Death Metal, Emilie Autumn with Disco Death Rock, Butcher Babies and more performed. The crowd was pumped by the heavy metal music and were really into it.

I was bobbing my head and I enjoyed the Butcher Babies’ energy.

After enjoying the concert, I stepped outside and saw the signs for the haunted house, which was right next door to the concert.

I get scared quite easily, and I was really hesitant to enter the haunted house and maze. The three-dimensional experience with the animations and effects made me feel claustrophobic and fear throughout my body.

I was really hesitant to enter, but I decided to go with a group that was entering as well. We were all screaming, and I was blinded by the flashing lights inside, so I could barely see anything. But by the end of it, I had a great time through the maze and haunted house, even though I was afraid and screaming through it.

If you are looking for a cheap Halloween event this weekend, go to Rob Zombie’s Great American Nightmare. The last day is 6:30 p.m. – 1 a.m. on Saturday. This event is definitely not recommended if you get scared easily. Have fun.

Jolene Nacapuy can be reached at jolene.nacapuy@laverne.edu.