You are here: Home // Sports // Lee sets agenda for sports news

Lee sets agenda for sports news

La Verne’s new athletic communications director, Sean Lee, said he is enjoying the school’s sports facilities and is excited about his future with the University of La Verne. As communications director, Lee runs the social media pages and website for every sport the university offers. He has created a sports media club in which students can get experience working in sports communications. / photo by Katie Madden

Julian Mininsohn
Sports Editor

It is a typical day at the University of La Verne. Cars fill the parking lots, students going to class learning lessons from their professors and athletes going to practice.

For Sean Lee, any day is far from typical.

One day Lee is in his office working on game programs or player bios and the next day he is at a men’s basketball game writing up a game story for the athletics website.

Lee, 25, is in his first year as athletic communications director at the University of La Verne.

“It’s all fluid. I don’t really have a routine,” Lee said. “No two days are the same.”

Unlike the players and coaches he goes to work every day, there is no offseason.

Lee is either compiling stats from games, writing press releases, collecting information on players, or updating the athletics website.

One might also find him sitting at the press table live tweeting or posting pictures of the sporting events.

In other words, Lee is a liaison between the Leopard sports world and the world of media.

“He has a ton of energy,” Athletic Director Julie Kline said. “He has done an outstanding job at being proactive in his efforts to move us forward in the athletics communications office.”

Before arriving at La Verne, Lee worked as an assistant sports information director at Occidental.

He began at Occidental in September 2011 and worked for no pay to start.

He has also interned for USA Water Polo and a fitness gym just to name a few.

Lee graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in sports management.

He grew up in Chino Hills and was a California Invitational Final Champion swimmer at Ayala High School.

Sports has always been a passion of his and it continues to grow.

“Growing up, almost everybody plays some kind of sport and takes a liking to it,” Lee said. “I get to cover sports, I get to watch it, I get to write about it, I get to make videos, I get to take pictures. It was the perfect thing for me.”

Lee plans to revamp the sports communications department.

He is starting a club open to students who share his interest in sports media.

Lee describes it as La Verne’s own version of ESPN.

“I know a lot of students these days want to be involved in sports in some form or fashion,” Lee said. “I want to provide the students with opportunities to get some experience and practice in the field that they want to work in.”

In his office, Lee has a whiteboard listed with multiple names of students who have already joined his club.

From play by play announcing and photography to writing and reporting, students can choose which sports media field they wish to work in.

“He has a lot of ideas and I am so excited,” senior public relations major Candice Nuñez said. “I see a whole new look and change for the Athletic Communications Department.”

Nuñez is one of many students who has hopped on board with Lee and his club.

The number of students that sign up for the club keep growing by the day.

“I want La Verne to be a leader in this field,” Lee said. “We want to be innovative, creative, and ahead of everybody. We want to set the standards.”

Lee’s fiery love for sports shows in his work and is excited to be a part of the Leopard athletic community.

“I don’t think I’ll get bored doing this,” Lee said. “Every player is different, every game is different, every season is different. I get to tell different stories everyday.”

Julian Mininsohn can be reached at julian.mininsohn@laverne.edu.

Tags: , , , ,