La Verne’s Liberal Studies major is an undergraduate Subject Matter Preparation Program, primarily for individuals seeking a career in Elementary Education (Grades K-6).
La Verne’s program is unique in that the curriculum includes the practical application for teaching subject‐matter content areas in elementary and middle school classrooms. Liberal Studies graduates are well‐versed in educational philosophies and practices, making for an easy transition to a teaching credential program. Graduates from the Liberal Studies Program with a 3.0 GPA in the major and a 2.75 overall GPA will meet the entrance requirements of La Verne’s Teaching Credentialing Program.
For more than 75 years, the College of Education and Organizational Leadership has been developing outstanding education professionals. Here, students and faculty are partners in the learning process, pursuing the shared goal of developing the highest quality teachers for our communities. Academic quality, student service, field experience and CSET Preparation are all unique components of the Liberal Studies Program at La Verne.
La Verne’s Liberal Studies Program seeks to inspire students in the development of personal and academic growth through excellent instruction, advisement, and professional preparation. The Liberal Studies Program commits itself to ensuring quality subject matter competence to future multiple subject teachers.
Steps to Becoming an Elementary School Teacher
(Multiple Subject Candidates)
- Complete a bachelor’s degree.
- Complete Teaching Credential Program prerequisites (With careful planning all prerequisites can be completed as part of your bachelor’s degree)
- Pass CBEST
- Pass CSET or
- Pass the CSET: Multiple Subjects and the CSET: Writing Skills test
- Complete a state-approved Teaching Credential Program including Student Teaching
- Pass RICA after completing the reading methodology courses in the Teaching Credential Program
For a printable brochure please download the Liberal Studies brochure
2232 D. Street, Suite 205
La Verne, CA 91750
(above the Coffeeberry Coffee Shop)
Office Mailing Address
1950 Third Street
La Verne, CA 91750
(909) 593-3511, x4860 (909) 596-8340