General Education Before Fall 2015
General Education Track I
Areas of Knowledge
- Life Science (ANSL) – 1 course
- Physical Science (ANSP) – 1 course
- Lab (ALAB) – 1 course
- Behavioral Science (ASBH)
- Political Science (ASPS)
- Economics (ASEC)
- Inter-area Social and Behavioral Science (ASIA)
- Literature (AHLT)
- Philosophy and Religion (AHPR)
- Foreign Language (AHFL) – some majors require foreign language as part of the Humanities requirement.
- Mass Media (AHMM)
- History (AHHT)
- History of Fine Arts (AHFA)
- Inter-area Humanities (AHIA)
University Values Requirement
Students meet the University Values requirement by taking courses in which one or more University Values areas are explicitly embedded. The University Values requirement can be met in GE, major, minor, or elective courses. Students satisfy this requirement by taking:
- 2 designations in Values Orientation / Ethical Reasoning (UVVO)
- 2 designations in Community and Diversity / Diversity and Inclusivity (UVCD)
- 2 designations in Lifelong Learning (UVLL)
- 1 designation in Community Service / Community and Civic Engagement (UVCS)
Transfer Students are required to take fewer University Values designations depending on the number of units transferred. For more information see Transfer Articulation of University Values
Interdisciplinary Thinking Requirement
Students must take at least one upper division Interdisciplinary course (INTD)
General Education Policies
- One “course” is defined as having a minimum of two semester hours.
- Students may take a maximum of one class in their major to fulfill their Breadth Requirement.
- Students must complete a minimum of 5 upper division units in at least two different areas of the University Values requirement.
- No course can be used to meet more than one Breadth Requirement.
- All courses (general education, major, minor, or electives) can be used to fulfill multiple requirements in the University Values Requirement and/or Interdisciplinary Requirement.
GE Track II
For students following GE Track II, please click on the link below. GE Track II is for students who completed 28 transferable units and matriculated at La Verne before the Fall 2009 semester.